new rear wheel needed.

arb1974
arb1974 Posts: 5
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all newbie here I have a giant escape 3 my rear wheel is buckled bad so I need to buy rear wheel but unsure where to start or what to look for all help needed many thanks in advance to all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No need to shout, and depends how much you want to spend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • About fifty for now but don't know where to start or what I'm looking for my rear wheel has 7 cogs on it so lost
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Variables are
    1/ rim or disc brake
    2/ axle width (distance between dropouts -probable 135mm)
    3/ whether the rear gears are a freewheel type or a cassette type, how many teeth on the smallest one?

Is it really buckled so bad it can't be straightened?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hello I have
    1) v brakes
    2) sorry I have no clue what your on about sorry I'm a newbie
    3) freewheele 7 speed
    They are not that bud say 5 mm wobble in one area thanks rookie
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    arb1974 wrote:
    They are not that bud say 5 mm wobble in one area thanks rookie

No need for a new wheel, then, probably. Just needs truing (straightening by adjusting spoke tension).

Either take it to a proper bike shop and pay them to do it(about £10-£15) or buy your self a spoke key and work methodically around the wheel, tightening the spokes gradually to bring the rim back towards the centre point (fix some markers to your frame so you can see the deviation as you turn the wheel slowly).
  • The Rookie
    I agree, for a 5mm wobble a new wheel is a waste of money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all I sent them to a shop 10 pounds later and wheel was true again thanks all
  • The Rookie
    I can only imagine a wheel tightener is meant to be a spoke key, and his comment is rather simplistic, you don't need to tighten a spoke that is tight enough!