New to tubs. I'm seeking advice on tubular tyre changing

JRobbo
JRobbo Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I've got a Francesco Moser Columbus Vitus frame with the words "serie legere special double butted 173" on the frame decals. Bought for £100 GBP off EBAY few months ago......punctured on it for the first time yd and discovered the tyres are tubular. I've never changed tt before so any advice on tyre selection and fitting tips would really be appreciated.

My basic understanding is you get a new tyre & glue to the rim.....Is that right?

I've priced a new single tyre at 14 quid from Halfords online. Would these tyres be a good buy for a moderate to heavy, multiple short-distance road rides per week?

Thanks very much 8)

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Youtube it!!... you'll be watching people fit them within moments.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    if it's just a small puncture you can probably fix it by squirting in some sealant - tufo extreme works well

otherwise, peel off old tub (if it's in decent condition you can repair it)

assuming the glue on the rim looks ok, no significant bare patches

get new tub, glue the base tape, let it dry for a day, put glue on the rim, wait 3-4 minutes, fit tyre (see aforementioned youtube), centre tyre, pump to max and roll out to ensure basetape in good contact, leave for a day to let glue dry, ride

which glue? there is only one glue, vittoria mastik one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Vittoria Mastik is very sticky. This is a good thing. Having tried conti glue first it is not as sticky and you get less in the post which sells it to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    My advice is get someone to help you the first time :D