New cyclocross bike? Advice please

2»

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not sure how you tell the difference between the different hubs. Apparently there is someone in the UK selling them for the same sort of price I paid for mine to come from the Far East. You're probably right about the rims. I usually have 28mm tyres on mine but have gone to 32mm now for the winter and have run them with 35mm knobbly tyres. Not tried them with a wider rim so don't know how much better that would feel. Ugo has run a greater variety of rims and tyres so should be able to give a more informed opinion.

I have put the question up in the Wiggle page, lets see what they say. I had a look at Novatec's website and they seem to do more than 1 road disc hub so will be interesting to see what they say. I asked Ugo and he recommended me 711/712 on Archetypes! :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've been racing and training all season on 711s/712s, and I'm pretty impressed with how well they're holding up given the treatment they get. I've had to regrease one outboard freehub bearing, but that was after two hours riding through sloppy mud and foot-deep pools of water...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • As someone who had, and recently sold a CX bike, I thought I ought to provide some balance.

If you're wanting to go off-road, CX bikes are awful. Truly awful. Tyres are too small to cushion any impact, and there is no suspension, so unless you are on a pristine bridal-path, they are incredibly uncomfortable. Whilst they *can* be good-ish on roads, they really aren't good off them.

If what you want is really a mountain bike, get one - having one doesn't make you less of a road rider!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    As someone who had, and recently sold a CX bike, I thought I ought to provide some balance.

If you're wanting to go off-road, CX bikes are awful. Truly awful. Tyres are too small to cushion any impact, and there is no suspension, so unless you are on a pristine bridal-path, they are incredibly uncomfortable. Whilst they *can* be good-ish on roads, they really aren't good off them.

If what you want is really a mountain bike, get one - having one doesn't make you less of a road rider!
    And if not, get a light touring/audax bike...

Cheers,
    W.
  • gabriel959
    I don't really want a mountain bike, it is going to be mostly used on the roads in the winter and in the summer/spring it will be taken off road but nothing too serious or taxing. I want to keep a bike that I can ride all year round basically. What is the tyre clearance for cyclocross bikes? is it 700x40c?

Thanks for the comments though, I considered a mountain bike but it will definitely be wasted with me.

I don't want a light touring bike as I want to be able to fit carbide spiked tyres for winter riding.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    gabriel959 wrote:
    What is the tyre clearance for cyclocross bikes? is it 700x40c?
    It varies. The maximum width for UCI races is 33mm, but there are a lot of wider CX tyres around, and CX frames tend to have big clearances for mud. Probably safest to get measurements for the frame you're looking at, but I can't imagine a CX bike wouldn't take at least a 40c tyre; mine would take a 40c with lots of room to spare...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • gabriel959
    TGOTB wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    What is the tyre clearance for cyclocross bikes? is it 700x40c?
    It varies. The maximum width for UCI races is 33mm, but there are a lot of wider CX tyres around, and CX frames tend to have big clearances for mud. Probably safest to get measurements for the frame you're looking at, but I can't imagine a CX bike wouldn't take at least a 40c tyre; mine would take a 40c with lots of room to spare...

Just asked the question on the Wiggle page.

Regarding hubs it seems like the hubs are indeed Novatec, the model is Novatec D521/522 a step below the 711/712 but hopefully still decent, I will ask Ugo about them.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    My Pro6 might even take a 29er mountain bike tyre as it has loads of clearance. I think Redvee commented that he couldn't get 35mm into a Kaffenback, or it would barely fit with no guard. Can't quite remember the exact details. Hard to tell from the pictures but that Verenti looks to have more clearance than the Croix de Fer that I tried.
  • gabriel959
    Thanks, does redvee have a Kaffenback 1 or 2 (if you know! :))?

That Pro6 looks lush!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    gabriel959 wrote:

That Pro6 looks lush!

Redvee has a 1.

I have a 2.

Mine will take a 40 with no guards no problem I reckon (currently running 28's).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I have a Pro6. Realise it might be a bit out of your budget but it takes 700x35 Marathon Winter spikes with mudguards, just. Discs are a godsend in the winter. I got a pair of the Kinesis CX wheels for it. The front has been great and into its second winter. The rear hub finally disintegrated terminally during the summer after a number of bearing failures. Now rebuilt with a Hope Pro2 hub.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • veronese68
    gabriel959 wrote:

That Pro6 looks lush!
    Not sure about Redvee's bike. I'll try to find the post if I can.
    Thanks. really enjoying the Pro6. Works well in the mud, picture is with 35mm Conti Speedkings and Ugo's Genesis Fugio behind.
    IMG_0361.jpg
  • Nice bike Veronese. I do like the sick green colour.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Hi guys,

how about the Verenti Substance?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... sora-2014/

It looks like an absolute bargain, £528 (with BC discount) for a reynolds 520 steel crosser, with BB5 discs, full sora, etc...

What are your thoughts?

I was looking at these last week when there was a sale on at the BC shop which bought the price down to £498. The bike tends to look a bit like the CDF but it does have a very small headtube for the frame size. If you enlarge the picture then the welds etc look very clean.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Hi guys,

how about the Verenti Substance?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... sora-2014/

It looks like an absolute bargain, £528 (with BC discount) for a reynolds 520 steel crosser, with BB5 discs, full sora, etc...

What are your thoughts?

I was looking at these last week when there was a sale on at the BC shop which bought the price down to £498. The bike tends to look a bit like the CDF but it does have a very small headtube for the frame size. If you enlarge the picture then the welds etc look very clean.

Yes I have noticed that too. I am waiting after xmas anyway, not in a rush, mainly because I haven't got the money. I don't like massive headtubes, but 15cm (for the xl) is tiny as you say...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • veronese68
    Found the Kaffenback comment in the fettling thread:
    redvee wrote:
    Put the 35c Speedkings on the spare Kaffenback wheels only to find PX are right when they say the frame is for 32c max tyres, took them off and put the 32c Houffalize that came on the Singlecross. Put the XT wheels on KAffenback as day to day wheels, did notice Gatorskins are a lot easier to fit on the new rims.
  • As someone who had, and recently sold a CX bike, I thought I ought to provide some balance.

Wrong geography... CX is a sport of the flat-lands, popular in Belgium, Holland, northern France and a lot less in Italy. When I lived in Manchester I made good use of a MTB in the Peak District, then moved south and beside the odd ride in the Chilterns, plagued by foot deep bog, I never used it.. I sold it and got a CX bike, which is a lot more fun to ride here. There are MTB hot spots even south, but I really can't be bothered to cycle 3 hours to go to Leith Hill and back just to do a couple of single tracks there. Traffic is horrendous, so even driving is not a n option.
    I can see in your area a MTB makes a lot more sense
    left the forum March 2023