Replacing Avid Elixir 3 with Deore (Was: Split Brake Hose)

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay so I've split the brake hose casing on my Avid Elixir 3s.
The black outer casing is split, but the white inner tube is still intact. However, I don't want to really want to risk just riding with that as I know one day that'll split and spew fluid everywhere mid ride.

So my options.

I could get a new hose (£13.99 off Superstar) plus connectors, and then pay to get it repaired. I reckon this would cost about £50 in total.

Alternatively, is there a front better brake I could buy for the same cost, about £50. Thinking Shimano Deores?

Any Suggestions Welcome.
Cheers

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    My LBS (Edinburgh Bike Co) charge £10 to bleed a brake, so might be worth asking at your local before spending any cash.

I'd still go for some Shimano stoppers though, never got on well with Avids personally.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • compo
    Been thinking of getting some Deore's anyway, so this may just be an excuse :p

Been to speak to my LBS, incidently also an EBC, and they charge £20. Apparently its a different price in each store
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Want to borrow an Avid bleed kit for the cost of 2 way postage? Also have some barbs/olives you can have at cost. PM me if you are interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    compo wrote:
    Been thinking of getting some Deore's anyway, so this may just be an excuse :p

Been to speak to my LBS, incidently also an EBC, and they charge £20. Apparently its a different price in each store

Is the £20 inc new hose and fitting? If so that's not bad for EBC :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • compo
    £20 doesn't include any parts. Quite bad.

Thanks "The Rookie" but I've already bitten the bullet and splashed out on a nice shiny new deore brake, couldn't resist :P

SO now I'm asking, will I need a new adaptor or will it simply fit straight on?
  • The Rookie
    Simply fit straight on......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • compo
    Excellent, cheers

just got a bit confused with is and post mounts
  • The Rookie
    The calipers are both PM mount, so you use the existing adapters, you'll need shorter bolts to compensate for removing the alignment washers though.
  • I just got some XT brakes, currently have avid elxir 1, will the adaptors need changing on mine?
  • The Rookie
    Read all the answers already given......
  • compo
    Cheers The Rookie
  • compo
    Another question re the bolts.

What type of bolts will I need, I have literally no clue
  • The Rookie
    Normal caliper mounting bolts, Shimano put M6x18.7mm in there brake kits http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 817095.pdf you may or may not get some with your Deore's but any bike shop will have some and most people have some spares (I have some but am away for a week on business).
  • compo
    Once again thankyoou. You have been really helpful on this matter