About carbon paint

mexer
mexer Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hello. First of all, I had been reading forums but I wasn't registered, I'm an U23 racer from Spain, nice to meet you all.

I have a question, few days ago in a race during last kilometers, my rear wheel quick release opened in a bump so wheel got blocked.
Apparth from losing any option for a good result as group went away, I saw my frame lost some paint in the sides where wheel touched.
My question is, does this need some kind of repairing? Or it's just a cosmetic thing which needs to be repainted.
Thank you very much for help

vilb2d.jpg
1491a12.jpg
oj4egj.jpg

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    looks like just the protective surface lacquer has been scuffed. Nothing to worry about, epoxy and carbon fibre pretty much protects itself on the surface.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you are worried about water ingress or similar you can always paint it over with some clear laquer or even nail polish.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just touch up paint plus clearcoat if you're obsessive about it's appearance. If it was mine and just a race bike I wouldn't bother.

I'd be more concerned about how your QR came undone in the first place. You sure you're doing them up properly? I can see thread marks cut into the drive side dropout which suggests to me the wheel is moving after installation.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Looks like a threaded axle in carbon droputs, they chew up the dropout allowing the wheel to move. There was a thread about this recently.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Indeed there was, and the OP in that case got a new frame under warranty!