Which Elbow/knee armour?

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    buddy_club wrote:
    +1 for learning how to crash properly, I've had a few decent off's but still walked away because i rolled, whereas ive seen people involved in minor crashes come away with more injuries than the few cuts and bruises i ended up with!

Most of it's down to pure luck. I've hit the floor at around 80mph on tarmac and walked away with nothing more than a bruise on my hip, and not down to any ninja tuck and roll crashing techniques. If you fall awkwardly you can hurt yourself badly in the most innocuous looking crash - look at that vid somebody posted recently of the ex DH racer nearly bleeding to death on the trail after a minor off.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I did a beautiful tuck-and-roll off the bike in my last crash, and therefore rolled directly into a treestump I wouldn't have hit if I'd just gone down like a falling chimney :lol: 2 broken ribs and a bruised kidney
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kowalski675
    Oops :lol:
  • Can't complain with my endura singletrack knee pads comfortable and fit well. Not a bulky as some pads but still offer some protection. The nuke proof gear looks tidy.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I was having difficulty getting elbow pads that'd stay in place so I got some 661 sub gear just for uplifts and stuff. I wore it today at Lee Quarry and was glad I did. Big off and landed shoulder first (then helmet, need a new one!). I'll be wearing the sub gear at Lee again, you don't really know it's there and the elbows pads stay in place with free extra shoulder pads.
  • Kowalski675
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I was having difficulty getting elbow pads that'd stay in place

Me too, until I tried the Nukeproofs.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I was having difficulty getting elbow pads that'd stay in place

Me too, until I tried the Nukeproofs.

It is a personal thing though - everyone's arms are different.

I'm going to stick with the Sub Gear for say, Antur and Lee (i.e. where it is rocky). For XC, Whinlatter, Gisburn and the like I'll not wear anything on the elbows at all.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    PaulBox wrote:
    In the past I have thought about getting some sort of back protector (something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/alpi ... -prod92057) for trail centre usage, but that would probably also get very hot.

I've got one of those. It would be bloody hot wearing it on a pushbike. Round a trail centre in summer it would be unbearable, and you'd probably end up testing it when you crashed due to dehydration and exhaustion.

To be honest, the one I was looking at was mtb specific and less substantial than the Alpinestars one, but that was the only one I could find to link to.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Kowalski675
    PaulBox wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    In the past I have thought about getting some sort of back protector (something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/alpi ... -prod92057) for trail centre usage, but that would probably also get very hot.

I've got one of those. It would be bloody hot wearing it on a pushbike. Round a trail centre in summer it would be unbearable, and you'd probably end up testing it when you crashed due to dehydration and exhaustion.

To be honest, the one I was looking at was mtb specific and less substantial than the Alpinestars one, but that was the only one I could find to link to.

Any back protector's going to be unbearably warm for XC/trail riding any time other than mid winter. I have another that's made of Hiprotec foam in a mesh waistcoat, which is less heavy duty, but would still be far too warm to use on a pushbike for anything other than DH. In summer you'd be sweating like Gary Glitter in Mothercare within minutes.
  • Hello People,
    I've started MTBing serously a while ago and had afall, wasn't too bad but was oainful and hurt my ego, so I realised I could use training but also armour.

I'm strugling to choose a set that would work for me and coudl use soem recomendations.
    Ideally I want something light as I'm not doing DH or crazy dangeourus things, but equally I don't want to break my arm/elbow...

I was thinkinf of this one: G-form http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -13-46979/ - but not sure how much protection taht actually offers - I dont want broken bones.

On a side note, when is it enough protection?
    Do I need chest/back armor if I'm not doing DH? How about a full face helmet?

Please do share your thoughts,
    Thanks!

I only wear gloves, lid and knee pads......at the moment.

Pads are TLD Shock Doctors 5450. I chose these because of the shin and knee coverage, and that there is no velcro or straps in sight. I find them very comfortable, and probably my best recent purchase !