Kaffenback/CDF/Plug 3 or Norco Indie Drop?

antonyfromoz
antonyfromoz Posts: 482
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all, I am (along with a pretty large section of the commuting public, apparently) looking at a drop bar, disc brake and mudguard/rack equipped bike - probably steel framed. Unfortunately the only local offering is a Charge Filter hi which is overpriced compared to alternatives available at other shops so I am going to have to do some traveling for test rides. I am not asking for someone to tell me which is the 'best' out of the options above but if anyone has any observations based on first hand ownership or test rides then it would be of great help while I plan my test ride trip. There are many happy kaffenback riders here, which is good even though I would have a 5 hour round trip to visit the shop, but not so many are vocal about the charge plug (budget would stretch to the Plug 3, which i can get from Wiggle for £705 at the moment) or the CDF, which tends to get overshadowed by the Croix De Fer but is only 200 grams heavier according to the Genesis website. The Norco Indie Drop is a bit of a wildcard with very little information on line but the reviews on the Evans website look positive and the price is good... Budget limit is about £800, I am 5' 9" with a 32" leg if that helps.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Look over in the commuting Chat section for a kaffenback thread.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • thanks Rubertoe - I had looked there first and many people seem to be happy with the Kaffenbacks but there does not seem to be much information on the other bikes i am considering.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    That is cos no one is buying them....
    Genesis, you cant really go wrong with. they get good reviews, same for Charge plugs although generally people tend to go for charge single speeds.

dont know anything about the norco.

There are so many bikes in this category now.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills