Bike Shield Protection Tape

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Can anyone advise me on the best way to prepare your bike before sticking on the Bike Shield tape and the best way to apply it?
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Just make sure the surface is clean and grease/oil free. Spray the frame surface with a few drops of washing up liquid mixed in a bottle of water. This makes it easy to move the tape around and get the air bubbles out before it dries and sticks permanently. It usually takes about 12 hours or less to dry completely.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Make sure the paintwork is clean, you can clean it with some meths, i find the best way to apply it is from one corner and keep the rest away from the frame applying the rest slowly, it also helps if you apply some heat to the tape from a hairdryer etc just before you start to apply it, makes it less likely to crease
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Best applied indoors in the warm, particularly if a metal frame. Clean the frame thoroughly using a solvent e.g. alcohol, meths or lighter fuel. Try and avoid getting greasy fingerprints on the frame. Use a hair dryer to warm the frame and tape. Avoid compound curves - it isn't that flexible. Finally, the same stuff is sold considerably cheaper as 3M Helicopter Tape on ebay.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've got some muc off degreaser, will that be good enough to clean the frame?
    Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Yes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Muc Off will probably leave a residue - use a spirit or solvent cleaner
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..