Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Helmets

davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
Finally, a very good reason to wear one in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
«1

Posts

  • asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,440
    1466091_658254657558975_1721287423_n_zpsa8922507.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gingamangingaman Posts: 576
    Have you seen the invisible bike helmet from Sweden? http://www.travelinggreener.com/cycling ... om-sweden/
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    gingaman wrote:
    Have you seen the invisible bike helmet from Sweden? http://www.travelinggreener.com/cycling ... om-sweden/
    Great!
    So instead of wearing a bit of polystyrene on my head I will now have to wear a thick scarf.
    In the summer.
    And it is as likely to go off when bunny hopping kerbs and potholes.
    And it costs 300 Euro.

    No thanks.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not sure if I could carry off that look...
  • Kieran_BurnsKieran_Burns Posts: 10,052
    This topic goes on and on and on and on....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    This topic goes on and on and on and on....
    Mostly because we have went OT.

    Watch you're head now.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gbsahne001gbsahne001 Posts: 1,963
    looks like her legs have been photo-shopped
  • gbsahne001gbsahne001 Posts: 1,963
    looks like her legs have been photo-shopped
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    daviesee wrote:
    And it costs 300 Euro.
    Are you in Ireland?
    If so, fine.
    If not, it costs 300 Euros.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    tgotb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    And it costs 300 Euro.
    Are you in Ireland?
    If so, fine.
    If not, it costs 300 Euros.
    Sorry.
    It costs 300 Euro's.
    Happy?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    No, it's not possesive but a plural so its Euros.

    That aside Drones can only be flown in the UK within site of the operator (which is why those dumb twits at GMP had to ground the ones they bought) so we won't be seeing that here anytime soon.
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    Ah, but what if you have another drone with a camera pointing at the first drone; the operator of drone 1 can use the camera footage from drone 2 to keep it within sight.

    OK, so some smarta*se is going to point out that the operator of drone 2 needs to keep that within sight. Here's the clever bit: You have a camera on drone 1, pointing at drone 2, and the operator of drone 2 uses that footage. Problem solved :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Mostly because we have gone OT.

    Watch your head now.

    FTFY - just in case the grammar/spelling Nazis come back :wink:

    (please note lack of apostrophe as Nazis are very often plural and generally not possessive. Unless of course you have a country they happen to want, like Poland, or France)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    Must be a record; only 13 posts to fulfil Godwin's Law...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    daviesee wrote:
    Mostly because we have gone OT.

    Watch your head now.

    FTFY - just in case the grammar/spelling Nazis come back :wink:

    (please note lack of apostrophe as Nazis are very often plural and generally not possessive. Unless of course you have a country they happen to want, like Poland, or France)
    I left school 34 years ago.
    If I had wanted a lesson I would have asked.

    Getting back to flying thingie's getting in the way on my cycle route.....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tgotb wrote:
    Ah, but what if you have another drone with a camera pointing at the first drone; the operator of drone 1 can use the camera footage from drone 2 to keep it within sight.

    OK, so some smarta*se is going to point out that the operator of drone 2 needs to keep that within sight. Here's the clever bit: You have a camera on drone 1, pointing at drone 2, and the operator of drone 2 uses that footage. Problem solved :-)
    Except that the operator can physically see neither drone. Which is the point - the rules state:

    "Article 166 of the ANO 2009 includes specific regulations for small unmanned aircraft and Article 167 of the ANO 2009 includes additional regulations for small unmanned aircraft that are 'equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition'. In summary, they prohibit unmanned aircraft from flying in congested areas, flying close to people or property, flying for aerial work purposes or flying beyond visual line of sight unless permission has been given by the CAA"

    Of course some smarta*se will now point out that the CAA will give Amazon permission to fly unmanned drones in UK airspace. Not.

    It's only one step away from Reaper drones armed with air-to-ground ordnance and piloted by a spotty youth wielding an Xbox controller 4,000 miles away. Not paid your Amazon invoice? No-one at home to accept delivery? Goodbye...... :shock:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • tgotb wrote:
    Must be a record; only 13 posts to fulfil Godwin's Law...
    "While falling afoul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose his argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by Glenn Greenwald"

    This of course presumes one had any credibility in the first place :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • daviesee wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Mostly because we have gone OT.

    Watch your head now.

    FTFY - just in case the grammar/spelling Nazis come back :wink:

    (please note lack of apostrophe as Nazis are very often plural and generally not possessive. Unless of course you have a country they happen to want, like Poland, or France)
    I left school 34 years ago.
    If I had wanted a lesson I would have asked.

    Me too. And apologies, wasn't aimed at you Daviesee, just a general shot across the bows of the nit-pickers.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Just out of mild curiosity, how did we morph from scarf-helmets to drones? I feel I must have missed something...
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    Just out of mild curiosity, how did we morph from scarf-helmets to drones? I feel I must have missed something...
    That will be the OP that you missed. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    We started at Drones if you read the first post (not again clearly!) and went to helmet scarves - do keep up at the back!
  • daviesee wrote:
    Just out of mild curiosity, how did we morph from scarf-helmets to drones? I feel I must have missed something...
    That will be the OP that you missed. :wink:
    It's been a long week....... :oops:

    Maybe my question should have been: "how did we morph from Amazonian drones into invisible scarf-helmets"





    gets coat....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • The Rookie wrote:
    We started at Drones if you read the first post (not again clearly!) and went to helmet scarves - do keep up at the back!
    Sorry Sir. It was Daley Sir. He was showing me his thingy.........
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    tgotb wrote:
    Ah, but what if you have another drone with a camera pointing at the first drone; the operator of drone 1 can use the camera footage from drone 2 to keep it within sight.

    OK, so some smarta*se is going to point out that the operator of drone 2 needs to keep that within sight. Here's the clever bit: You have a camera on drone 1, pointing at drone 2, and the operator of drone 2 uses that footage. Problem solved :-)
    Except that the operator can physically see neither drone. Which is the point - the rules state:

    "Article 166 of the ANO 2009 includes specific regulations for small unmanned aircraft and Article 167 of the ANO 2009 includes additional regulations for small unmanned aircraft that are 'equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition'. In summary, they prohibit unmanned aircraft from flying in congested areas, flying close to people or property, flying for aerial work purposes or flying beyond visual line of sight unless permission has been given by the CAA"

    Of course some smarta*se will now point out that the CAA will give Amazon permission to fly unmanned drones in UK airspace. Not.

    It's only one step away from Reaper drones armed with air-to-ground ordnance and piloted by a spotty youth wielding an Xbox controller 4,000 miles away. Not paid your Amazon invoice? No-one at home to accept delivery? Goodbye...... :shock:
    Hmmm... I think you may have thought I was being serious.

    Being serious now, though, your argument that miniature unmanned drones are only one step away from Reaper drones carrying ordnance is entirely spurious. That would be like banning microlights on the grounds that they're only one step away from military fighter bombers.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb wrote:
    Hmmm... I think you may have thought I was being serious

    Damnation. Busted.
    tgotb wrote:
    Being serious now, though, your argument that miniature unmanned drones are only one step away from Reaper drones carrying ordnance is entirely spurious. That would be like banning microlights on the grounds that they're only one step away from military fighter bombers.

    You mean they're not? :wink:

    Although with the rate MOD's cutting back at, microlights for the new carriers might be all we get....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No, it's not possesive but a plural so its Euros.

    That aside Drones can only be flown in the UK within site of the operator (which is why those dumb twits at GMP had to ground the ones they bought) so we won't be seeing that here anytime soon.

    Amazon will soon be more powerful than the UK Government - they'll just change the law.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No, it's not possesive but a plural so its Euros.

    That aside Drones can only be flown in the UK within site of the operator (which is why those dumb twits at GMP had to ground the ones they bought) so we won't be seeing that here anytime soon.

    Amazon are more powerful than the UK Government - they'll just change the law.
    FTFY :lol:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Allegedly
  • airbagairbag Posts: 201
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, it's not possesive but a plural so its Euros.

    That aside Drones can only be flown in the UK within site of the operator (which is why those dumb twits at GMP had to ground the ones they bought) so we won't be seeing that here anytime soon.

    You've misunderstood. daviesee is entirely bankrolled by Mr Euro. It costs 300 of Euro's Euros, with the (Euros) part omitted for clarity and brevity.

    Should I wear a helmet when Wiggle gets in on the act?
  • airbag wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

    Should I wear a helmet when Wiggle gets in on the act?

    When it starts raining Haribo's!
Sign In or Register to comment.