Tyre size recomendation

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I have this bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lap ... e-ec021009 and are changing the tyres , do i go blue ,red or stay with black.
And , what is the latest regarding size ? 23,24,25,28.
I do not race but train long on a weekend and do the odd sportive possibly leaning towards a little more comfort.
Thinking of putting on my christmas list . Looking at scwalbe ultremo or if black Continental 4000s .
Please take this seriously , i may be one dissaponted man on xmas morning if I make the wrong choice.
regards
ILG

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IMO tyres should not have colours on them (fluffly dice and Kev and Shaz sun strip equivalent).

The wider you go the less pressure you can run which assists with comfort, but you need to check frame clearance to be sure.

25's are a good compromise (between comfort and rolling resistance) but 28's are nice and plush if they fit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what smidsy said
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Black and 25mm for me too.
  • Black 25s it is then , just needed some re assurance !
    thanks for the replies.
    regards
    ILG
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    Yep.. Black 25s
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I vote 28 if you're after comfort. I ride 25s and don't find them that much more comfortable than the same tyres in 23mm width, whereas similar 28mm ones basically turned the bike into a sofa
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:
    I vote 28 if you're after comfort. I ride 25s and don't find them that much more comfortable than the same tyres in 23mm width, whereas similar 28mm ones basically turned the bike into a sofa
    Stupid question , but how will I know if 28s will fit my Lappierre ?
  • maddog 2
    stated widths aren't necessarily the same as the actual. For example the 28mm GP4Season actually comes in about 26mm. But whatever you currently have, say 23mm, then add a few mm each side and judge whether you have the clearance on your frame. Most frames will take 25mm but 28s can be too much of a squeeze.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2
    and wider tyres are also taller, so it's not just a width issue.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    25c GP4000s are basically 28c dimensions. They may not fit your bike. Go for the 23c size, again, these size up large (bigger than most other 23c tyres)
  • Cricky , this is very confusing.
    I should have stuck to fell running.!!
    Thanks for the info .
    regrads
    ILG
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    :)

If you find some tyre reviews they tend to tell you the actual size of them.

I just use 23mm 4 Seasons as they are light, puncture resistant and the roads are smooth round our way. Bigger tyres would be more comfortable as you can run them at lower pressures but I have no problems.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you don't live in an area where you get lots of punctures or cuts GP4000s in 23mm will give more like a 25 in some other makes. ...I didn't say that because GP4000s cut up or puncture a lot, they're actually very good against that compared to some, but it depends where you live. If you live in a punctureless area you're not going to have problems with them. Plus, they last ages and are grippy and fast, so good bang for your buck (sorry I meant value for money).

As said, lower pressure does wonders for comfort, and it's amazing how often people run at pressures that are unnecessarily high for their weight.
  • mfin wrote:
    If you don't live in an area where you get lots of punctures or cuts GP4000s in 23mm will give more like a 25 in some other makes. ...I didn't say that because GP4000s cut up or puncture a lot, they're actually very good against that compared to some, but it depends where you live. If you live in a punctureless area you're not going to have problems with them. Plus, they last ages and are grippy and fast, so good bang for your buck (sorry I meant value for money).

As said, lower pressure does wonders for comfort, and it's amazing how often people run at pressures that are unnecessarily high for their weight.
    This has set me thinking , i live and ride in the north east north Yorksire coast ,loads of rough roads out here .
    The Lappierre i ride is a race bike and can be a little harsh , to be honest i wouldn't mind a little more comfort !
    GP4000 on offer at LBS for £27 should I be looking at this or can anyone advise another suitable tyre ?
    regards
    ILG