Best carbon road bike for comfort

on2wheels
on2wheels Posts: 102
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Thinking of upgrading to a carbon road bike in the summer, have about £1500 budget, been looking at Ribble, Eddy Merckx, Specialized, Mekk, Trek etc, want a bike that is comfortable, that I can ride all day, won't be used for racing.
I am sure many people have been in the same situation as me now, and I would appreciate your experiences and advice. Cheers
Paul

Comments

• Some of the bikes you mention will be out and out racers but for real comfort look at the Trek Domane or the Specialized Roubaix as they are both designed for comfort.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Any carbon frame aimed at sportive/touring is essentially on your radar.

Basically you need something with a taller head tube.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • look at the focus izalco ergoride, very relaxed geometry, longer flattened seatstays to act like a leafspring for comfort, but still stiff at the bottom bracket for pedaling efficency.
    dont only ride a bike
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The most comfortable bike is going to be one that fits you. If you spend your £1500 and have never had a bike fit then I'd suggest trying to buy your bike from a shop that can fit you properly. If you buy "off the peg", its fine, if you know what you've got to do to make the bike fit you, but its not too great if you are trying to adapt your body to fit the bike.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You don't need a tall head tube, that sort of suggests you need to be 'sat up' more in order to be comfy on longer days. I suppose it might be different if by 'all day' you are talking 24 hours, I don't know, but with a good fit you'll be perfectly fine whether it's for 1 hr or 6 hrs. If your fit requires a tall head tube to obtain it, then you need a tall head tube, that's all.

Other guy is right about Roubaix and Domane, but go ride some, as depending on where you live and the surfaces you ride on, loads of other bikes can easily be comfortable enough, so get test riding.
  • Of the road bikes on the market it's only really the Domane which is specifically for this purpose and has the flexible seat tube arrangement etc.

But in addition to those mentioned I'd add the Scott CR1 mine is very comfortable indeed, although probably beyond budget.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have a Spesh Roubaix expert from 2008, it's not just the geometry which makes it comfortable, the frame just seems to absorb nearly all the buzz from our crappy British roads without any apparent loss of speed, in fact the freshness you get from the comfort will speed you up on longer rides.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • smidsy
    mfin wrote:
    You don't need a tall head tube, that sort of suggests you need to be 'sat up' more in order to be comfy on longer days.

Which I wager is exactly correct for the majority of riders who specifically ask about a comfy bike.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I was looking for something similar this summer, with a similar budget, and ended up buying a Focus Cayo Evo 6. It may not have the more obviously 'relaxed' geometry of some of the bikes mentioned but having tried it against some others, it was the most comfortable, especially once I had had a bike fitting. I haven't tried riding it 'all day' (usually I do 2-3 hour rides or shorter commutes) so I can't comment on how it would feel after several hours. All I can say is that it is very comfortable, and I'm not even particularly flexible.

I would echo those who have recommended getting a bike fitting. It will make a huge difference. The shop where you buy the bike may do it for free. I don't know where you are based, but if you're in London try Swift Cycles in Spitalfields, as they do a free Retul fitting with all carbon bikes.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    antfly wrote:
    I have a Spesh Roubaix expert from 2008, it's not just the geometry which makes it comfortable, the frame just seems to absorb nearly all the buzz from our crappy British roads without any apparent loss of speed, in fact the freshness you get from the comfort will speed you up on longer rides.

My GF's Bianchi Infinito is in the same category and is very comfy to ride.

It is also fast.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • smidsy
    OK OP forgetting the frame issue (as it seems anything will do according to the suggestions so far) IME a comfortable ride is down to many things as a package.

Wheels and tyres play a big part in the ride quality stakes so you want something with a wider profile and lots of proper spokes, properly laced and wide tyres to allow lower pressures.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    smidsy wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    You don't need a tall head tube, that sort of suggests you need to be 'sat up' more in order to be comfy on longer days.

Which I wager is exactly correct for the majority of riders who specifically ask about a comfy bike.

Do you raise your stem if you're going for 6 or 8 hours not 2 then? Or have a different positioned bike for long days?
  • smidsy
    mfin wrote:
    Do you raise your stem if you're going for 6 or 8 hours not 2 then? Or have a different positioned bike for long days?

No...but I have never asked questions about needing a comfy bike. You are missing my point (maybe I am being unclear).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Giant defy, built especially for sportive/comfort. I have a carbon defy and its superb for what it is designed to do.
    One thing I will add is that no matter what you buy if the seat is not suited for you then you will never be comfy.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    mroli wrote:
    The most comfortable bike is going to be one that fits you. If you spend your £1500 and have never had a bike fit then I'd suggest trying to buy your bike from a shop that can fit you properly. If you buy "off the peg", its fine, if you know what you've got to do to make the bike fit you, but its not too great if you are trying to adapt your body to fit the bike.

This is good advice, even more expensive bikes need to fit you properly or you will not see the benefit. My winter bike is a £700 road bike and due to spending time setting it up to fit my needs it was perfectly comfortable on a three and half hour hilly ride yesterday. I have no worries riding it for longer the main limitation is my now over 40 year old body ;)
  • Thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it, with all of your comments I will now start looking at those particular models and I think I will look to get a professional bike fit. I will probably post again with more questions.

Many thanks again to everyone.
  • Im in the same boat an have a full carbon pinarello f4.13 but want put it away. I ve looked and looked
    Im 6ft tall 13st 6. Flexible ish. I bought a cinelli experience veloce went back not at all impressed.
    After shopping an nearly buying a colnago ace second hand but pretty mint as they sound reviews sportive and distance in mind. But I phoned planet x and chatted an said I had just enough for there pro carbon at 1k. They actually steered me to a sab classico which is way less and sounds ideal. Carbon forks an rear triangle. An cheap for such spec
  • Cannondale Synapse is well rated - http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p4324/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-105-2012
    I ride a Scott CR1 SL and I love it dearly. CR1's have a similar geometry to the Cannondale.They come in various spec,this one with full Ultegra groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels looks good value (a few quid over budget) -http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/rac_0079_sc/scott-cr1-pro-compact-20-speed-2012-road-bike
    Both have taller head tubes than the dedicated racing bikes offered by these firms (Cannondale Super Six and the Scott Foil) and would suit your needs.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    elderone wrote:
    Giant defy, built especially for sportive/comfort. I have a carbon defy and its superb for what it is designed to do.
    One thing I will add is that no matter what you buy if the seat is not suited for you then you will never be comfy.

Another vote for the Giant Defy Advanced, you can get a really good deal on the 2012 & 2013 models.
  • Another vote for the roubaix. You can buy the 2013 model for about £1300. Get a proper fit done with the extra £200 so you get the right size and setup. I have one and it's very comfortable, even for an old, not very flexible body like mine.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    on2wheels wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it, with all of your comments I will now start looking at those particular models and I think I will look to get a professional bike fit. I will probably post again with more questions.

Many thanks again to everyone.
    The best way, the only way I should say, is to test ride the models you're interested in, and make up your own mind about which ones are more comfortable, because like most things in cycling, it's all subjective; what is perceived to be more comfortable may not be for you. Its a personal thing. Then go for the bike fit, and see which one is nearest to your bike fit measurements.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Planet X RT58 the most comfortable bike i have owned.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • markhopley wrote:
    Im in the same boat an have a full carbon pinarello f4.13 but want put it away. I ve looked and looked
    Im 6ft tall 13st 6. Flexible ish. I bought a cinelli experience veloce went back not at all impressed.
    After shopping an nearly buying a colnago ace second hand but pretty mint as they sound reviews sportive and distance in mind. But I phoned planet x and chatted an said I had just enough for there pro carbon at 1k. They actually steered me to a sab classico which is way less and sounds ideal. Carbon forks an rear triangle. An cheap for such spec

Mark, I'm sorry but what are you trying to say??
  • Get a proper fit done with the extra £200 so you get the right size and setup.

I am a bit cynical with regards to paying big bucks for someone to tell you how to pick the right size bike.
    The pedal position is fixed.The saddle position is attained by well recognized parameters.The handlebar position is the only variable point of contact,which is essentially driven by the size of the frame.
    Reputable bike manufacturers are pretty good at estimating which frame suits a certain height. Unless your arms and legs are unusually long or short (I've read that 95% of folk are pretty much of a standard proportion) you can be confident that their size charts are a good guide.
    Look for a bike where you height falls nicely in the middle of a brand's size suggestion, I'd be surprised if it didn't fit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Look for a bike where you height falls nicely in the middle of a brand's size suggestion, I'd be surprised if it didn't fit.

I am a tad over 6'1". What size Cannondale would you say I was from the size guides?
  • As for Cannondale size I am the same height and a 58 fits perfectly - hope this helps!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glad yours fits but I find 56cm Cannondales (CAAD 8/10, Super 6 and Synapses) I have sat on feel a touch on the big side.
    Size guides would put me on a 58cm but that would be way too big for me.
  • smidsy
    Dales tend to fit big, so it is common to need a smaller frame size than other brands.

Likely to do with the more traditional way they measure and the fact that they are not a 'compact' frame that often quote 'virtual' sizes.

E.G my CAAD is a 54 and my Basso is a 56 but both fit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    Dales tend to fit big, so it is common to need a smaller frame size than other brands.

Likely to do with the more traditional way they measure and the fact that they are not a 'compact' frame that often quote 'virtual' sizes.

E.G my CAAD is a 54 and my Basso is a 56 but both fit.

This is not correct.
    A 52s Colnago M10, A ML (53.5) Giant Defy both "compact" frames are equivalent to a CAAD 56. The best thing to do is to try out different sizes (if you are unsure).
  • Get a proper fit done with the extra £200 so you get the right size and setup.

I am a bit cynical with regards to paying big bucks for someone to tell you how to pick the right size bike.
    The pedal position is fixed.The saddle position is attained by well recognized parameters.The handlebar position is the only variable point of contact,which is essentially driven by the size of the frame.
    Reputable bike manufacturers are pretty good at estimating which frame suits a certain height. Unless your arms and legs are unusually long or short (I've read that 95% of folk are pretty much of a standard proportion) you can be confident that their size charts are a good guide.

With respect, you have missed the point of a bike fitting. It's not to pick what size bike is best for you: it's to take the bike you have chosen (based on the things you mentioned and - oh yes - actually trying the thing out) and setting it up so that it fits you properly. There are a lot of variables, and even people the same height will be different because their proportions will be different - length of arms/legs compared to torso etc, and different degrees of flexibility. Also what they plan to do on the bike, e.g. relatively short quick rides where speed may be a higher priority than comfort or longer rides where it's the other way round. or maybe a mixture, which would require a compromise that is going to be different in each case.

Sure you could position the saddle height by reference to a chart or some old wive's tale and a piece of lead on a string and you'll get it most of the way there, but a proper fitting will get it exactly right. There's also forward/backward saddle position, which is also critical. Again, trial and error will get you most of the way. On the bars, there's height and reach, both of which have a huge amount of variety and quite subtle changes can make a big difference. What length stem do you need?

When I had my bike fitting, the fitter went so far as to analyse the angle of my legs and knees when pedalling, and put spacers into the pedals to widen them slightly. He also set up the cleats on my shoes to get the right angle.

All of this makes the bike supremely comfortable and stops my (relatively) old and inflexible body from getting aches and pains. And it was free with the bike.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.