Do I need a garmin edge 800? or 200?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Ok, so I bought the 200. I wanted something that could track my rides to upload to strava. Nothing fancy. I've used my phone for the past year for it, and I'm restricted to 40 mile rides max due to the battery level.

I was (and still am) in two minds about the 200 and the 800. I tend to do the same rides/ area and hate going places I don't know. I'm putting it down to feeling comfortable in my existing rides. I also am not fussed with HRM/ cadence, but cadence would be nice to have. However, I decided to save my money and buy the 200.

But after buying it, I thought the 800 would motivate me to get out and mix it up...so I bought an 800.

However, I'm still in two minds about which one I want to keep. I still haven't received the 800, and I haven't used the 200 as I may be selling it on...so I am waiting to see how I get on with the 800. It would be nice to have, but am thinking if I'm not bothered about cadence/ HRM so much, then why don't I just keep the 200 and put a map in my back pocket? I just don't feel I can justify spending the money when I'd only be using it for navigation in my area. It seems overkill for my needs in certain ways.

Sorry for the essay, but I can't come to a decision! Any advice/ experience would be great.

Cheers,
Luke.

Comments

• Can the 200 be used for strava?
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Yeah it can.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Most road navigation is easy enough. I just look at my route on google maps before hand and work out which villages I am going through to get there. Road sign posting is normally very good and you just need to know the village names to extend your rides. I always take my phone with me in case it is needed but rarely use it.
  • I've had a 200 for over twelve months now. A great, compact little unit, also very accurate, and looks neat on the stem. Funnily enough though, nearly all the other folks I know have 500's and swear by them. Not heard much about the 800 really.
    Haven't got any plans to upgrade as yet, the 200 does the job. Would rather spend on the wheels!
  • Thanks for the replies both.

I suppose I am only navigating through villages close by, so can't think of any time where navigation will be essential.

The garmin 200 does look smart, and I'm very surprised in quality!

I suppose I just like the idea of varying the ride each time and knowing exactly how many miles I have to go.

But that doesn't really justify the price thinking about it!
  • Sounds to me that you're not happy at all about riding into the unknown. If you think the 800 will encourage you to ride further and wider afield then surely that will increase the enjoyment of bike riding and increasing the enjoyment factor is worth any amount because that drives all the other aspects of it.
  • You are right there. That's pretty much what I was thinking and I know it will encourage me to venture out. After I do a few pre planned rides, I'd probably sell it on and downgrade as I'd have got out of it what I needed. New rides. If money wasn't an issue, I would keep the 800. I'm just unsure as I'm a student and my car is falling apart all at once!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Surely the logical middle ground is to get a 500?
  • You'd think so, but for £40 ish extra, I'd go for the 800 for maps.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    I find the course/map setup on the 200 fine. Not perfect but does the job well. I used it for the TDF Yorkshire prologue courses this year.
  • I may just end up using my phone for reference then.

Nigelos...you use it for maps? How did you find using it?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    For me, it was between the 500 and 800 (I wanted the HRM) and I went for the 800 so I'd have the option of navigation. In practice, I find I mostly just use it for speed, distance, heart rate and post-ride tracking, all of which the 500 does anyway. Turn by turn navigation has been useful occasionally and works well, with an audible beep and indicator arrow as you approach the next turn, but compared to a modern smartphone it's not a great map browser - the display is obviously tiny but is also low resolution by modern standards, and the touch screen isn't nearly as responsive as we've come to expect from our phones. If I had a phone with me and I just wanted to look at a map of the area, I would generally take the trouble to fish the phone out of my pocket rather than fiddle with the Garmin.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    The 200 should be fine for following pre planned routes. The 800 is overkill unless you plan on riding off into the unknown and navigating your way home.
  • Thanks for the responses.

I reckon the 200 will do enough for what I'm after then. Took me ages trying to sort this deal on the 800. Haven't even received it yet! And it's probably going up for sale tomorrow...

Cheers.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well I am not even using a computor now and I am not missing it. The only piece of data I want now is my power output as speed and cadance are not good guides to this and I am having issuess with pacing in races. So that mean higher model ANT+ unit will have to be bought but for no other reason.

Part of the joy of riding is going out on an unplanned route and seeing where it takes you. You find things you never knew existed like the drainage museum somewhere in the Fens. Picking a planned route to me is an anathema, a bit like a holiday with an iterary.

So get a top end garmin for the ANT+ capability but for navigation use that noodle on top of your neck it really is very good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Yeah it can.

Just tried to upload days to strava and its says the Garmin edge 200 isn't compatible .
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    Not sure what you're doing wrong then as my 200 works perfectly with Strava. Have you installed the Garmin software and browser plugin?
  • Ye I've been able to look at the data on my laptop via the Garmin software since i got the Garmin last Xmas.

i just signed up to strava and it doesn't quote the 200 as compatible and doesn't want to upload data from the tab.
  • Primus84
    Have you installed the Garmin communicator plugin for your web browser?

The 200 is Strava compatible, I've used mine plenty and used it on Saturday.

Are you using IE11? It appears there's an issue with the plugin and IE11 that prevents it from working.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Im happy with the 200, and it works pefectly well with strava. The mapping on it is also useful and ive used it to plan some longer rides into unknown. Personally I cant be bothered with HRM or cadence. I bought a cheap aldi HRM and only ended up using it a couple of times, I prefer to just ride my bike without thinking too much about that kind of stuff. The only downside I have with it is the metres gained calculator, since the unit doesn't have an altimeter I find it can be a little off, when I upload a group rides I always seem to have done less than everyone else.
  • Yip, IE11.

That's that then.
  • Primus84
    Just use Chrome for a bit until the issue with IE11 is fixed.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I've just got a Garmin 200, great bit of kit. I like the fact you can explore new routes and they are stored on the unit to follow/compare performance. The uploading to Strava or Garmin is great for dissecting all the stats, funny thing is some of the stats vary between them :?:
    The other thing I've found is the speed can jump about a bit, maybe if you're under trees etc & satellite reception is poor :?:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Thanks for the response. I'm keeping my 200. I have no need for maps/ navigation.

So, there's an edge 800 for sale in the classifieds at a good price ;) haha

Cheers
    Luke