Front Sora Shifter Problem

Alpina007
Alpina007 Posts: 106
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi All,
I am new to this so please go easy on me. My front Sora shifter has developed a fault in where it wont change to the large front cog. It seems to missing a click or two. I remember that it used to take a couple of movements to make it change up and down.

So far I have released the cable and the mech on the cogwheel work fine. I have tried pulling on the cable and also pushing back and forth to see if that frees anything uo without succsess.

Im at a loss at what to do next and would appreciate some advice

Comments

• Firstly you may want to edit your title?!
    Does the chain move into the large chairing but not stay there after you release the shifter or does it not move the fd at all?
  • Firstly you may want to edit your title?!
    Does the chain move into the large chairing but not stay there after you release the shifter or does it not move the fd at all?

Oh my god!! What a twit I am. Title edited :lol:

It doesnt move at all, it seems like there isnt enough travel from the shifter to move the cable the required distance.
  • :wink:
    So you've disconnected the cable to the FD and the FD moves freely by hand enough to move the chain onto the large chainring?
    Does the cable move when you shift? Does it move back when you release (change down) ?
  • I had this same problem. Turns out the outer cable was split in the hood. Replaced the whole cable arrangement for completely new. Problem solved.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Cable clamp loose? Or FD clamp loose?
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Guys it's almost as if the shifter itself doesn't ratchet enough, all I can get it to do is move a half click and back The cable moves less then an inch
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    I've got a same/similar issue it was fixed by a repair guy on Saturday, he replaced the cable, the front shifted up and down when on the workstand but he did say he thought the shift was "wrong" ie for a a triple not a double. In the end I got 2 shifts out of it on the ride home the 3rd shift it just stayed on the small ring.

Do Sora have triple and double shifters?
    Turned out nice again!