Worked out full carbon would only save about 5lb

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
My current bike is 23lb (stock, £300) and I worked out last night all the weights of carbon stuff, it would only end up around 18lb and that's with carbon fiber frame, wheelset, handlebar, stem, seat post, saddle and then the 2300 drivetrain taking off the current bike and putting on it.

I guess people are shaving off that last 3lb off their 18lb bikes to make it 15lb by having Dura-Ace stuff on it?

I was all eager to do it but don't see the point now. :lol:

My Brooks saddle weighs about 550g, that would be swapped for a 100g carbon saddle, so you save one pound there... but then you're just saving weight for the sake of it and not caring about comfort.

I am just going to keep my bike "heavy" lol. It would cost about £700 or £800 to make it 5lbs lighter.

Then again I am sure you can find used bikes at that price range with better kit on than the 2300 group, that are carbon, if you really look.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ok. Cheers for that.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Ok. Cheers for that.

Is this how you got sixteen thousand one hundred and forty three posts? :P
  • Why do you want a lighter bike? Genuine question.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Manc33 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Ok. Cheers for that.

Is this how you got sixteen thousand one hundred and forty three posts? :P

Dude you just posted your thought process. Nap's response was appropriate as your post doesn't have a question (adding a question mark doesn't excuse the phrasing) or lend advice (everyone knows about the laws of diminishing returns).

That said, I have 2 observations.

1. £700 - £800 to shave 5lbs is a bargain in the world of cycling.
    2. You clearly have no concept of the value of different materials and manufacturing processes. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the upper end (or even middle) of the cycling components isn't for you.

Oh and you can pry my 13lb bike from my cold dead hands. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most people could save 5lbs around their middle in about a month of sensible eating and drinking for a darn less money....you'd probably be able to ride faster too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Most people could save 5lbs around their middle in about a month of sensible eating and drinking for a darn less money....you'd probably be able to ride faster too.

Yawn :roll:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Interesting post for "road buying advice". Can the Mods please move this to the "pointless drivel" section please?? :)

As said by Grill - NapD's response was very appropriate to the original post!