Xbox 360 help

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Hello. I've never really been a gamer, but the kids are pushing for an Xbox. Looking around t'internet I realise I have no idea what to look for. 4Gb, 250Gb, kinect or not kinect, wireless controllers and whatever else.
As I understand they can be used as a DVD player and to watch netflicks and catch up TV.

So, any advice or one stop site where I can get the low down? I'd like to keep this under £200. Ta.

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Hi
    Both my kids (quite old kids) have said device. I am not a gamer either, but from what I have experienced I would recommend wireless controllers and if you can the larger memory (there are lots of downloads now (extra content, maps, level etc) for games and this all gets stored on the hard drive. As for the Kinect, they have this but it never gets used. You need a pretty big room in my opinion to be able to use this properly. Video player is good.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    You know the follow up console is literally just coming out right?
  • If you can , go for the newer version of the 360. You'll find it physically smaller, it comes with wireless controllers. The older versions even the black elite had untold problems with overheating failures or 'rings of death'. I was told it was because the cooling fan was positioned over the processor and not the graphics chip, on the last version of the 360 the fan was cooling both the chips.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited December 2013
    New one is far off his budget.

And the new ones are little improvement in the first year or so anyway - makes sense to me to get the 360. I'm sure you can find some decent deals with people who just bought the new engines.
  • also don't forget to factor in the subscription costs, you have to pay to play online and also to be able to use netflix/lovefilm. can be got for around 30ish quid a year
  • Thank you all.
  • I've ordered a new XBox One for the "family" Xmas pressie as the wife thought it would be a good idea - £600 later my wallet is thinking a new Ultegra group wouldn't have been nicer.....

If you don't mind going down the 2nd hand route, it may be worthwhile getting a 360 with a few games from someone who has traded up.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Best to go for something like this if you want new, it's a nice big hard drive for storage and comes with two games under your budget, extra remote will be £25.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-360-e-250 ... fier=10471

If you don't mind excellent condition second hand (like above post), you could grab yourself a bargain like these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Xbox-36 ... 35cf1aa266

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-360-with ... 27db5cb207

As you can see, these comes with like 8-15 games so you'll get a lot more for your money, it just won't be new. These are people who are just trying to make a quick sale so they can get the new Xbox One at £450.
  • My biggest bit of advice would be to avoid the 4gb version and only buy one with a proper hard drive.

The 4gb memory isn't recognised as a hard drive by some games (battlefield 4) and so you can't save the obligatory data needed to play it, and in some cases, 4gb in going to be enough to even hold the updates and patches for some games.

I struggle with my old original 20gb drive model, and have to run an external 16gb USB drive too.