Handlebars

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Have recently got a Cube Ltd Race which comes with Easton EA30 lowriser handlebars, now compared to my other bike which is more of a freeride bike (Norco Sasquatch) these feel really narrow and low. I'm thinking of going for some 780mm bars with a 30 or 40mm rise - will this adversely impact the handling in anyway?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That's a very high rise and for xc they are very wide.
    The height is going to make it difficult to get in a good position when cornering. Lowe bars are great for finding grip and cornering fast.
    How about something like a 760 wide 20mm rise Nukeproof bar?
  • It's more the width than the height to be fair - was thinking of 780mm so that I can cut them down to the right size - my Norco has 740mm on now just wanted the option to try wide and cut down to size.

Not really thought about what bars exactly - just something light and reasonably priced.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fat bars are neither light or cheap. I like them on my dh bike but they aren't really worth the price. Raceface Atlas are lighter and nicer shape.
  • Any experience of Renthal Fat Bar Lites or Funn Full ons?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Easton havoc. Merlin have them at a great price atm - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-bar.html

Very strong, brilliant shape, imo perfect width and great quality and an absolute steal at that price. I've got both the alu and carbon version and they're both great.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Fat bars are neither light or cheap. I like them on my dh bike but they aren't really worth the price. Raceface Atlas are lighter and nicer shape.

Fatbar Lites are lighter than Raceface Atlas (269g). Still not cheap though, and still a crap colour.

If you're prioritising cheap above light then these are a bargain, I just bought a pair in 15mm rise:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funn ... -prod91521

Also in 785mm flavour for same price.
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:
    Easton havoc. Merlin have them at a great price atm - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-bar.html

Very strong, brilliant shape, imo perfect width and great quality and an absolute steal at that price. I've got both the alu and carbon version and they're both great.

That's cheap. I might have to get myself a set of them, in orange.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

That's cheap. I might have to get myself a set of them, in orange.

Aye, Merlin often have good deals on Easton stuff, they've got Haven stems pretty cheap too. I got my Havoc carbon bars and haven stem for less than the bars on their own retailed for!
  • If you're prioritising cheap above light then these are a bargain, I just bought a pair in 15mm rise:

These don't seem to be heavy - around 325g from what I can find, they do 15mm or 30mm so maybe 30mm will give me a nice compromise height wise. Decisions.... :?
  • Kowalski675
    ab20000 wrote:
    If you're prioritising cheap above light then these are a bargain, I just bought a pair in 15mm rise:

These don't seem to be heavy - around 325g from what I can find, they do 15mm or 30mm so maybe 30mm will give me a nice compromise height wise. Decisions.... :?

360g in 750mm width 20mm rise flavour, including a few grammes of retail packaging. You wouldn't want to use 'em on a downhill bike, I imagine, but plenty strong enough for trail use, and cheap, but with a real quality finish to them (nice shot peened anodised finish, and pre marked in 5mm intervals for cutting down). Seem comparadle to the more expensive (but still not bank breaking) Spank Spoons on my Boardman. 750mm wide 30mm rise looks like this (albeit the 25.4mm version currently on my Kraken).

180620133241_zps0e3aac93.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go wide - can always (well usually) cut down if need be.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you want them to look pimping good for a little extra you could have these beauties
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod94890
  • I've gone off really wide bars. Makes it too difficult to get round switchbacks.

I've gone from 750 havocs to 711 havens and the bike fels way nore lively!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I find wider bars make switchbacks easier! Different riders have different styles I guess.
    I don't like them too wide for xc. I find the position they put me in isn't so good for climbing and I tend to clip trees with wide bars.
  • I'm sure I saw some crank brothers carbon bars on crc for 55 quid. 780mm with 30mm rise
  • I find wider bars make switchbacks easier! Different riders have different styles I guess.
    I don't like them too wide for xc. I find the position they put me in isn't so good for climbing and I tend to clip trees with wide bars.
    Ha weird!
    I find longer switchbacks are fine with wider bars, bit we have some rider built stuff in the woods with rediculously steep and tight switchbacks and I could't get round em lol.
  • lawman
    I've gone off really wide bars. Makes it too difficult to get round switchbacks.

I remember you saying you weren't a wide bar fan on the CCC2CC. First thing you said when you tried the HD was "how the hell do you turn this thing!!!" :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Tried the wide bar thing with some 750mm Nukeproof bars. Fine till I tried to get between 2 trees and I ended up with my nose touching the tyre. Gone back to 700mm I find it a good compromise for a wide range of riding.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I use 680 Easton monkey bars - would maybe go a touch wider if I got carbon bars but I'm happy with 680 as it suits my body size and riding
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know someone who uses 550mm bars and a 130mm stem.
    It's a personal preference thing.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

I don't have any cool gay cycle friends :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use 635 and 660 lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:

I don't have any cool gay cycle friends :lol:

He is neither cool or a friend. He is quite possibly gay though.
  • Kowalski675
    My Boardman came with 680mm bars. For me they felt awful, just way too narrow. Resting my hands where they naturally wanted to sit they were only half on the bars, and half hanging off the ends.
  • lawman wrote:
    I've gone off really wide bars. Makes it too difficult to get round switchbacks.

I remember you saying you weren't a wide bar fan on the CCC2CC. First thing you said when you tried the HD was "how the hell do you turn this thing!!!" :lol:
    :lol: yeah I remember... had the turning circle of a barge!
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Despite the shortish wheelbase, the slack headangle makes a bit less manoeuvrable at low speed, get her up to full pace and she flies, last time I checked I was still 66th out of 1040 odd on one of the sections at Penmachno we did on the ride, not bad considering I hadn't ridden there for 6 years!! One of my best days riding ever that day, was on a mission and kept telling myself to slow down abit, we had a longggggg way to go on day 2!! :lol:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Just swapped the stem on my trance from 90mm to 60mm and ordered 720mm bars to replace the 670mm ones. Was going to try 740mm but saw a deal on the slightly shorter ones.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Despite the shortish wheelbase, the slack headangle makes a bit less manoeuvrable at low speed, get her up to full pace and she flies, last time I checked I was still 66th out of 1040 odd on one of the sections at Penmachno we did on the ride, not bad considering I hadn't ridden there for 6 years!! One of my best days riding ever that day, was on a mission and kept telling myself to slow down abit, we had a longggggg way to go on day 2!! :lol:

Need tp get up there when the Canyon is finished!
  • Out for a ride today and the bars are certainly too narrow for me. I did also notice that even though the bike is an XL (I'm 6.4") I felt slightly cramped, hoping a wider bar helps with this and considering a longer stem (although mine is 90mm so not short as it is) - does this make sense to go a slightly longer stem and a considerably wider bar? I did notice today round quick but tight bends the bike handles very well so don't want to lose this aspect. :?