Ridgeback Cerium?

neilp7
neilp7 Posts: 66
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Hi there,
anyone on here got a Ridgeback Cerium?
I was thinking of getting one as my next commuter, seems ideal for my needs (carbon fork, disc brakes, drop bars, etc).
Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link to specs is traditional.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No longer available, how much you seen it for and where?
  • neilp7
    It was £399 on fleabay, brand new.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For that money is very good, value wise.
  • neilp7
    Seems good, ideal for what I need (carbon fork, disc brakes, drop bars & full guards).
    Its going to be used for commuting 20 miles a day.
  • The Rookie
    For £399 that is a very good price, just about an ideal commuter spec in fact, though you may want to personalise from the CX gearing a bit (MTB rear cassette), or not, depending on how you find it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • neilp7
    Well I've taken the plunge, just swapped the saddle and put my pedals and lights on.

We shall see tomorrow!
  • The Rookie
    And..........
  • neilp7
    Yeah everything seems great, it's going to take a bit of getting used to the drop bars, as i'm a mountain biker at heart and I used to commute on a Carrera Gryphon with flat bars.
    It seems comfier on the hands, although the carbon forks may help. The Carrera's alu forks were stiff as fook!
    I may need to flip the stem over to bring the bars up a bit though.
  • The Rookie
    Lol MTBer at heart to, and I'm still on a Gryphon framed bike, although nothing else is standard, I run a flipped stem and flat bars to get the front low, without rack and guards mine comes in at 9.5kg. Out of date pick is my avatar.
  • neilp7
    Well I've ridden it a few times now and have to say I really love it. Although I'm still getting a bit of the numb hands syndrome.
    I thought due to the drop bars this would go, is it a case of just getting used to it? Due to the fact I've never ridden drops before.
    Any help would be appreciated!
  • The Rookie
    Drop bars, infinite number of hand positions, none of them comfortable.........

If you get numb hands in different positions you may want to try gloves with some palm support to keep you hand from flattening out (like arch supports in trainers), you can get flat bar grips to do this but that doesn't work on drops as you move your hands about.

Have you tried riding on the hoods? Totally different hand position.
  • neilp7
    I have been riding mainly on the hoods, the aching is slowly going but i'm still getting some pins and needles/numbness.
    Can you suggest any gloves with palm support? I'm using some padded ones at the moment, or would bar tape with gel underneath (like Specialized Bar Phat tape) work?
  • The Rookie
    I don't use drops at all, but I can't see bar tape helping as it won't create a support feature, just make the whole lot fatter.

As for Gloves, I use on-one MTB gloves with gel padding in the palms.

Riding on the hoods may mean you need to build up some muscle to support a hand position that is relatively alien to other uses, but see first sentence and I could be talking bow-locks.