Cassettes with spiders

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I recently picked up a secondhand wheelset with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Had trouble removing the cassette (SRAM PG970) and once off found it had bitten in to the freehub. Damage isn't too bad for now, but I want to stop it getting worse, so thinking it may be sensible to get a spider-mounted cassette. I currently run a 2x9 setup so am I right in thinking my choices are basically:

1) SRAM pg980 or SLX HG80 (both have three largest sprockets on spider - may not be enough)?
2) SRAM pg990 or XT M770 (both have 6 largest sprockets on spider)?
or
3) XT M771 (10 speed - only £2 more expensive than the 9 speed version at CRC) PLUS a 10sp road bike shifter, which will avoid having to buy a 10 speed rear mech (existing one is XT - M772 SGS) ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    You need a cassette with an alloy spider think xt onwards in shimano.
  • jimothy78
    Yes, I know, hence why I was asking which cassettes have spiders - in case it wasn't clear first time, what I'm really wondering is if there are any other options I've missed (like other manufacturers etc).

As for "onwards" from XT, that's not an option - XT would be the absolute maximum i'd consider spending on a wear and tear item.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nope, those are the obvious ones. XT for my money. 10 speed, you'll need a chain too. I'd probably be inclined to just get a mech and shifters and do it properly, but your way would work.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    XT cassette from ze germans. Bikediscount.de and rose bikes both have them pretty cheap.
  • russyh
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Yes, I know, hence why I was asking which cassettes have spiders - in case it wasn't clear first time, what I'm really wondering is if there are any other options I've missed (like other manufacturers etc).

As for "onwards" from XT, that's not an option - XT would be the absolute maximum i'd consider spending on a wear and tear item.
    Jesus no need to be so snappy..Be clearer, otherwise you wont get the answer you wanted! I have Pro2's with the same alloy freehub, Anything lower than XT damages the freehub, down to steel carriers being i guess harder than the alloy hub. Hence why i said you need an XT or above.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    beware that XT cassettes will still damage the freehub aswell
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Buy a Steel free hub body from Hope.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Be clearer, otherwise you wont get the answer you wanted! I have Pro2's with the same alloy freehub, Anything lower than XT damages the freehub, down to steel carriers being i guess harder than the alloy hub. Hence why i said you need an XT or above.

He was perfectly clear, you just didn't read more than the first line!

A steel freehub body will do it, but weigh a ton, if that bothers you.
  • jimothy78
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

Apologies to Russy if my reply came across as "snappy", however I was just trying to make myself clearer. Also, all the cassettes I mention use alloy spiders, as far as I can make out, and I haven't come across any that use steel?

As for the comments about steel freehubs, I think it would be overkill to change the freehub as a preventative measure, at least until the old one was destroyed. Plus at £60, the cost is fairly prohibitive. I'm already looking at forking out for new bearings front and rear, QR adapters for the front wheel, and an expensive new cassette. It's all adding up for a wheelset that isn't anything that special (they're only SpeedDisc i19 rims).

Reckon I might go down the path of least resistance and just fork out for the XT cassette at £33, but how long do those last in our muddy conditions?
  • russyh
    I have had the pg990 gold nugget in the past. Seemed to last pretty well and look pretty trick also. Can't remember the exact mileage it had done, but had loads of life left in it when I got rid. All of the cassettes mentioned seem to fit the bill and look like reasonable value. I got stung by my local bike shop for an xt 10 speed recently, think I paid something stupid like £70. But needed one there and then so couldn't buy online. My hope hub body is pretty badly scored from cheaper cassettes in the past, seems to be holding up well but the alloy ones seem to be made of cheese
  • jimothy78
    Interestingly, i just had a look at the techdocs, and it appears that the 11-34T XT has the biggest 6 sprockets on the spider, whilst the 11-32T actually only has the biggest 5 on the spider. I would have gone with the 32 if they'd been the same, but have gone 34 instead, as hopefully that will mean it has lower impact on the freehub