Penhydd open Sat 30th woop

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited December 2013 in Routes
Should be there Sunday, apparently a few of the old sections are still in place, though no mention of hidden valley that i've seen.

Comments

• Going Sunday morning, although I never rode the "old" Penhydd, looking forward to trying it. It seems to be a favourite for many people.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Also thinking of popping along on Sunday morning. Always interesting to ride new trails.
  • Going Sunday too and from what I've read hidden valley is in the same place but the trail isn't the same :(
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Have just ridden Penhydd and although it lacks the character of the "Old Penhydd" I like the combination of old and new. Like any new man made trail it will take time to bed in. I like the fact that they have kept some of the old sections and I'm sure that it wil become a favourite of mine. At the very least it gives more choice of trails to ride and combination of rding for days out.
    Don't worry about rain - skin is waterproof
  • jimothy78
    Didn't make it today after all, but is there anywhere you can see the route map or other details of the new trail?

Both mbwales and afanforestpark websites are still showing Penhydd as being closed, and the afan page on the cognation site doesn't even mention Penhydd in the list of routes. :roll:

How hard is it to keep a website up to date???
  • Yes, map should be on one of the websites by now. Skyline cycles have it on their Facebook page, along with Blue Scar.

https://www.facebook.com/skyline.cycles/photos_stream
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • jimothy78
    Thanks for that.
  • The blue climb is pretty straightforward and no way technical and is smooth and easy until it joins the fire road about the same point as the old trail did.

I kept saying to the guy I was with how weird it was without any trees on any of the sections, it really was an odd feeling. Sidewinder and dead sheep gully are unchanged from what I remember (minus trees) and the red descent into the centre are quick with only one point which looks like it might trouble people judging by the marks on the rock step!
    It's a step of only 4-5 inches but on a downward slope so looks far worse than it is.

Will be good for fitness I think as I think there's more climbing compared to other trails at afan.
    Orange P7 2007
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Stanners79 wrote:
    The blue climb is pretty straightforward and no way technical and is smooth and easy until it joins the fire road about the same point as the old trail did.

I kept saying to the guy I was with how weird it was without any trees on any of the sections, it really was an odd feeling. Sidewinder and dead sheep gully are unchanged from what I remember (minus trees) and the red descent into the centre are quick with only one point which looks like it might trouble people judging by the marks on the rock step!
    It's a step of only 4-5 inches but on a downward slope so looks far worse than it is.

Will be good for fitness I think as I think there's more climbing compared to other trails at afan.

nice one, cheers for the report stan, I loved the old trail. I was supposed to go sunday morning but everyone dropped out on me and I cba to go on my own :lol:
  • Yup rode it yesterday,

The clmbs are pretty much fireroad which doesn't bother me at all, they have great veiws of the surrounding hills! The original sections of trails are still fantastic and im glad they are still there. The newer sections are typical berms and tailored can take it or leave it personally but its worth the spin out for the beautiful original single track thats still there i was grinning hugely after riding them.
  • The climb is still a grind on the fire road though, you never used to be able to see much further than a hundred metres or so up the trail so it looked worse than it was.

hidden valley isn't the same, bit gutted About that as it's now quite a short section of single track after a climb to the top to just do desolation and hidden valley before a climb back up to sidewinder.

Enjoyed it though and just need to build up fitness to do this and the wall on the same day!
    Orange P7 2007
  • Stanners79 wrote:
    Enjoyed it though and just need to build up fitness to do this and the wall on the same day!

I did them both on Saturday. The long climb up Penhydd was a grind (especially after a mid-way cake stop at the cafe) but otherwise they're a great pairing. The challenge will be W2 + Penhydd. Will be an awesome ride, when I'm fit enough!
  • The challenge will be W2 + Penhydd. Will be an awesome ride, when I'm fit enough!

Sounds good, challenge accepted :)

Question is what do you think will be the best route? Does Penhydd start and finish at the main Afan car park?
  • welshkev
    The challenge will be W2 + Penhydd. Will be an awesome ride, when I'm fit enough!

Question is what do you think will be the best route? Does Penhydd start and finish at the main Afan car park?

it used to so I assume it still does
  • Looking at the link above posted by Big_Wheels it starts and ends at Afan.

Thinking best route is start at Afan and do W2 first stopping at Glyncorraeg for coffee and cake. Back to Afan for more coffee and cake then finish off with the new Penhydd trail.

Weather is still looking good for next weekend, may have to give it a go.
  • The challenge will be W2 + Penhydd. Will be an awesome ride, when I'm fit enough!

I like the sound of this too, my longest ride is W2 which I have done a few times now. Maybe try W2 and Penhydd a few times ready for a massive W2 + Blade when it opens next year... :D
  • Wouldn't the massive ride be W2 + Blade + Penhydd?

Or am i just being sadistic again :)

Depends on how much bacon and cake you are allowed :P

Best have your Weetabix before attempting that!
  • Depends on how much bacon and cake you are allowed

That's the beauty of trail centres, you're allowed as much you can fit in your belly :)
    (or until you puke on the next climb...)

That sounds epic! And will mean doing the Glyncorrwg cake-climb-combo twice (I think). But there might be a way to link up Whytes and Blade. I'll keep an eye out for options.

In the meantime, W2P for me would start at Afan Forest Park with W2 first and then the P, if I can manage it!
  • Finally did W2PBS today and got to say it was a pretty epic ride.

W2 was good (as always) but riding up the new Penhydd/Blue Scar climb twice was a bit of a killer. Thankfully Sidewinder and Dead Sheep Gully made up for it :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/100157951

Steve
  • Wow!! Great going, that's a massive ride.

I have become a follower :)
  • welshkev
    Finally did W2PBS today and got to say it was a pretty epic ride.

W2 was good (as always) but riding up the new Penhydd/Blue Scar climb twice was a bit of a killer. Thankfully Sidewinder and Dead Sheep Gully made up for it :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/100157951

Steve

fair play mate, that's pretty epic :)