A Confession, a Warning, a Rant and an Anti-Rant

Comments

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm hungry. Is there cake?
    There was homemade carrot cake. Was...... 8)
    Coach H wrote:
    To me the poster offers a balanced description and confession
    Confession: A formal statement admitting that one is guilty of a crime. Admission, owning up, acceptance of blame.
    The first step on the road to absolution. arran77 it was never my intention to argue with you, merely in a roundabout way to atone for my actions.
    gingaman wrote:
    I'm afraid I didn't react in the way I should have and the way I normally do :oops: ... but to be honest passing that close scared the sh1te out of me.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    gingaman wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm hungry. Is there cake?
    There was homemade carrot cake. Was...... 8)
    Coach H wrote:
    To me the poster offers a balanced description and confession
    Confession: A formal statement admitting that one is guilty of a crime. Admission, owning up, acceptance of blame.
    The first step on the road to absolution. arran77 it was never my intention to argue with you, merely in a roundabout way to atone for my actions.
    gingaman wrote:
    I'm afraid I didn't react in the way I should have and the way I normally do :oops: ... but to be honest passing that close scared the sh1te out of me.

No argument intended on my part either :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I just wanna say I support the OP here - I don't think he overreacted and didn't deserve the abuse and attempted assault he got.

The driver probably didn't even notice the light...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You are forgiven my child... Twelve Hail Marys
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    There are some real Cnuts on the road and it is best not to antogonise them. I just hope he doesn't do something stupid the next time he sees a cyclist.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Had a similar situation myself many years ago. Normally wouldn't say boo to a goose, but had a close fast pass by a BMW driving illegally in the bus lane on the way through Clapham North, and something possessed me to tap the side of his car with my foot as I passed him further down the road (he was stuck in traffic). Dumb thing to do. Nearly got run off the road and had some verbal and the contents of his footwell flung at me. Lesson learnt: these are not people who are likely to react in a calm and reasonable manner.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mikey23
    @pw... You approached a junction downhill at 35 mph where a transit van was possibly going to pull out on you... And you banged on his window??? My gob is well and truly smacked...
  • Mikey23
    @pw... You approached a junction downhill at 35 mph where a transit van was potentially going to pull out on you... And you banged on his window when he did???? My gob is well and truly smacked...
  • arran77
    rjsterry wrote:
    Lesson learnt: these are not people who are likely to react in a calm and reasonable manner.

That's the problem isn't it, you just never know :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • This forum's great: it doesn't matter what you say, there'll always be someone come along and tell you you are/were wrong. :roll:

Slightly off topic: I guess it's the nature of the kind of people who cycle, but it does amaze me how there is an assumption that cyclists are weak, passive individuals. I wonder how many aggressive motorists have ended up with a good slapping after they inadvertently bullied the wrong cyclist?

OP, you did nothing wrong. You might have wound the idiot up further, but I certainly can't blame you for that, given how badly you were provoked.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    This forum's great: it doesn't matter what you say, there'll always be someone come along and tell you you are/were wrong. :roll:

Slightly off topic: I guess it's the nature of the kind of people who cycle, but it does amaze me how there is an assumption that cyclists are weak, passive individuals. I wonder how many aggressive motorists have ended up with a good slapping after they inadvertently bullied the wrong cyclist?

On that note, a friend of mine decided one summer to get fit by being a bicycle courier (crazy idea, should have stuck to racing). He was going from Clapham Northside right into London. If you know the route, you will know that there are railings and lanes that split, manhole covers and roads going into 3 lanes, left, right straight on etc etc, all the way in.
    A man in a BMW decided to lean out of the passenger window, hang on to his bike and speed up. He hung on for dear life until they let him go still upright and very shaken but the occupants were laughing all the while during this incident.
    At the next junction, said BMW went into the right hand lane before some traffic lights and came to a standstill.
    The driver had his bent arm jutting out of the window. My mate approached the car on the right hand side to have a word with him, changed his mind and took his left foot out of his cleat and stamped downwards/forwards on this man's elbow. He said he was lucky to have stayed on the bike but also that he heard and felt the bones audibly 'crunch' underneath his foot. The screams could be heard as he cycled away as quick as possible.
    There was police signs for witnesses for the next couple of weeks and had to avoid that route until the dust settled.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    This forum's great: it doesn't matter what you say, there'll always be someone come along and tell you you are/were wrong. :roll: .
    No their wont.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    This forum's great: it doesn't matter what you say, there'll always be someone come along and tell you you are/were wrong. :roll: .
    No their wont.
    You're wrong, there will :P

seanoconn
  • This forum's great: it doesn't matter what you say, there'll always be someone come along and tell you you are/were wrong. :roll:

On that note, a friend of mine decided one summer to get fit by being a bicycle courier (crazy idea, should have stuck to racing). He was going from Clapham Northside right into London. If you know the route, you will know that there are railings and lanes that split, manhole covers and roads going into 3 lanes, left, right straight on etc etc, all the way in.
    A man in a BMW decided to lean out of the passenger window, hang on to his bike and speed up. He hung on for dear life until they let him go still upright and very shaken but the occupants were laughing all the while during this incident.
    At the next junction, said BMW went into the right hand lane before some traffic lights and came to a standstill.
    The driver had his bent arm jutting out of the window. My mate approached the car on the right hand side to have a word with him, changed his mind and took his left foot out of his cleat and stamped downwards/forwards on this man's elbow. He said he was lucky to have stayed on the bike but also that he heard and felt the bones audibly 'crunch' underneath his foot. The screams could be heard as he cycled away as quick as possible.
    There was police signs for witnesses for the next couple of weeks and had to avoid that route until the dust settled.

At last! A story with a happy ending :D
  • Slightly off topic: I guess it's the nature of the kind of people who cycle, but it does amaze me how there is an assumption that cyclists are weak, passive individuals. I wonder how many aggressive motorists have ended up with a good slapping after they inadvertently bullied the wrong cyclist?
    My experience has been that it's anything some road users see as smaller they perceive as weaker and a target for abuse.

I used to drive a small and lowered coupe that other drivers would try and bully and on a few occasions when they couldn't get their way they would be blasting the horn at me. On those particular occasions I got out of the car to go and politely speak to them. It's amazing how meek people became when they were greeted by a big bloke over six foot getting out of this little car.

I now drive a large powerful van with blacked out windows and unsurprisingly no-one has thought to openly abuse me even when I'm driving slowly to give cyclists space on the road.
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    No their wont.
    Your right. Hes behind you!
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    No their wont.

Who :shock:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    No their wont.

Who :shock:
    The driver you wound up.
    Sleeping_0646.jpg
  • Mikey23
    So we have to be vigilant for a guy wearing a bear suit and carrying an inflatable axe. That simplifies things ....
  • Mikey23
    ... And not cross dress on the bike...
  • daviesee
    Glad we got that all sorted then.
  • Mikey23
    And everyone's wearing a helmet...

BR will have to close due to lack of interest
  • This was warming up for an entry in the 'It's All Kicking Off In' thread and then everyone had to go and get all reasonable. Aw, shoot..... (slopes off to lurk elsewhere :wink: )
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Mikey23
    I just haven't got the knack. Lessons from vtech needed :-)
  • daviesee
    This was warming up for an entry in the 'It's All Kicking Off In' thread and then everyone had to go and get all reasonable. Aw, shoot..... (slopes off to lurk elsewhere :wink: )
    Everybody else just gave up......
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    This was warming up for an entry in the 'It's All Kicking Off In' thread and then everyone had to go and get all reasonable. Aw, shoot..... (slopes off to lurk elsewhere :wink: )

Nah, I still reckon the OP lost it and put himself in a situation he didn't need too :P

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Nah, I still reckon the OP lost it and put himself in a situation he didn't need too :P
    What situation?
    Posting here?
    :lol:
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

What situation?
    Posting here?

Yes, that's just ridiculous to expect any support on here, if you do something daft shut the feck up about it :wink:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

What situation?
    Posting here?

Yes, that's just ridiculous to expect any support on here, if you do something daft shut the feck up about it :wink:

Was the OP looking for support, though? His thread title doesn't suggest so. Wasn't he just telling his story and admitting to reacting badly?
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

What situation?
    Posting here?

Was the OP looking for support, though? His thread title doesn't suggest so. Wasn't he just telling his story and admitting to reacting badly?

He didn't look for support and he did admit to doing something he shouldn't of but when it was suggested this was the case everyone jumped in and said he was spot on in his reactions :roll:

seanoconn