Administrators and Moderators

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
Why can't you put an admistrator or a moderator on your ignore list?

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

bc

Anyone in particular or just in general :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

bc

Anyone in particular or just in general :lol:

Obviously someone in particular! Not saying who, probably get banned or something

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you could ignore them, then you wouldn't be able to see their responses ie in places like here if you were to ask another question.

Nor some stickies, rules or moderator advice in threads.

If you have problems with a certain mod/admin, please raise it with another team member, but blocking is not an option.
  • Yeh why can't we ? Each and every one of us are on their ignore list.
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • Yeh why can't we ? Each and every one of us are on their ignore list.

meaning?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sorry, i didn't realise i needed to spell it out.

Moderators and administrators pay little heed to what goes on and when the going gets tough, for example when a member gets scammed, they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever.
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Sorry, i didn't realise i needed to spell it out.

Moderators and administrators pay little heed to what goes on and when the going gets tough, for example when a member gets scammed, they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever.

When a member has been scammed, I have gone as far as I can to email pdf docs of the adverts to the member who has been scammed, we have provided all IP addresses and email addresses, that is the only information that we hold. Adverts are moved to a safe area so they don't auto delete.

If you doubt that then remember when you signed up for an account? Well that is the only information we hold.

What more could I do.

We have plans afoot to prevent offenders accessing the Classifieds, but it still won't stop people making mistakes, that is why I wrote the advice below: -

viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12906418
  • You are to be commended for that. But why don't you make this clear within the threads then ? To the casual observer the moderators come across as being indifferent to the plight of members.
  • Velonutter
    You are to be commended for that. But why don't you make this clear within the threads then ? To the casual observer the moderators come across as being indifferent to the plight of members.

I thought I had Here

I'm not after commendation, just trying to help bods on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,311
    Any development on the geekdan scam?

Whilst i appreciate the rules regarding classifieds are not being read and the regular safety nets of e-mail address, paypal etc may not be used as they should, would there be any merit in having further information submitted by forum members wishing to place ads? A registration process for those wanting to use the classifieds section perhaps?

As conveners of the site, would it be better to cover your own backs too by such a process?

I personally have had no problems whatsoever with anything bought or sold on BR, but maybe that's just luck.

Your thoughts please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • supersonic
    The classifieds area is a touchy one. Staff of these pages would rather not have one at all, but it is provided using the software available and we try and put up comprehensive guides and rules. There is no doubt it takes up most of (at least my) time moderating.

Some users will slip through and scam others, and we only know that when it has happened. In other cases (and this it not seen), many adverts are deleted, users warned, banned and in quite a few cases we have passed over details to relevant parties and even the police. Commenting on individual cases is not always the way forward for us.

If members have had a bad experience, please use the feedback area to report it: if you have been scammed, please contact one of us and we will look into it.
  • pinno
    supersonic wrote:
    The classifieds area is a touchy one. Staff of these pages would rather not have one at all, but it is provided using the software available and we try and put up comprehensive guides and rules. There is no doubt it takes up most of (at least my) time moderating.

I appreciate that it probably does. I am just proposing a hypothetical.
    If a forum member wished to advertise, then he she should have to submit:
    Name
    Address
    Telephone number
    National insurance number?

I am sure the IT bods in here could come up with a system that allows the moderators/administrators access to details that we cannot see but you have exclusive use of. Paypal uses a telephone confirmation system. If this is going to cost, a nominal fee to cover expenses through a BACS payment which will give you instant information on a user?
    I am just chucking this in. As I have said, I have had no problems with the ads and I would like to think that 99% of the cycling fraternity are a decent bunch of people but the guy here who was scammed was scammed for a hell of a lot of money and some of the sh1t falls on your heads when something like this happens.
    Thinking like a scammer, it would be too easy to set up an account and advertise anything.
  • Sorry, i didn't realise i needed to spell it out.

I think the mods do too much... remember this is not EBay... nobody charges a feee for using the classifieds section, therefore we cannot take responsibility of what is sold and bought. Nonetheless scammers get banned, that's as far we can go within our powers.
    Personally I think only senior members (100 posts? 6 months membership?) should be allowed to sell, but that is my personal opinion and not shared.

Remember also that moderating here is reactive... there has to be a report for any action to be taken... if people don't report, there is no moderating
  • arran77
    Remember also that moderating here is reactive... there has to be a report for any action to be taken... if people don't report, there is no moderating

Is that really true, don't you go round the place looking for trouble?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

Is that really true, don't you go round the place looking for trouble?

That's not moderating, that's causing trouble... I'm a user too... :wink:
  • supersonic
    The legal standpoint is rather complicated. I don't know all the ins and outs, but stating that the site is proactively moderated makes the site owners liable for content (or something along those lines). However if we happen across something, we can act, or report it ourselves.. As i am quite busy on here just reading, I will act if I see something that needs actioning, or raise for debate.

As for Classfieds users having to give details, yes, I think is a good idea - but may have legal implications too, and if it was to happen probably wouldn't be actioned until about 2016.

And going back to the original question - again, if you could block Admins and Mods, you wouldn't be able to see responses like this. Is not an option.

I have been at this site a long time, and have put a lot of time into it. as a user, and a Forum Admin, I want it to work as much as you guys. Is a labour of love really! I am not tied to Future in any way.
  • Velonutter
    Just got to Echo Super and Ugo, none of us get any benefit moderating, we only do it to try and make the forum a safer place for everyone.

We don't always get it right, but we try and the only reward we get is a thanks sometimes, but most of the time we get very abusive insulting PM's, if someone said the things we get PM'd to your face they would be eating hospital food in the morning, but we have to take it on the chin.
  • supersonic wrote:
    And going back to the original question - again, if you could block Admins and Mods, you wouldn't be able to see responses like this. Is not an option.

With all due respect you're missing the point. I would like to ignore someone whose comments I find tedious and repetitive and that someone just happens to be a moderator. I don't want to ignore him just because he's a moderator and I don't want to ignore moderators en masse.

That said I can see I'm not going to get anywhere with this so I'll just leave it there. Thanks for your comments.

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • I would like to ignore someone whose comments I find tedious and repetitive and that someone just happens to be a moderator.

Just ignore what I say, in the same way you ignored the messages I wrote you to explain the situation... don't read them. As I told you privately, I would also like to invite you to raise any complain you have with the admins and I do mean it. If there is anything I do or say which is not compatible with my role as moderator, then I am more than happy to step down, as I never asked to be a moderator in the first place, I was asked to.

On the contrary, if it turns out that there is nothing I do which is in conflict with my role as moderator, then I will no longer tolerate your (and those of a couple of your mates) insulting comments and will deal with you appropriately
  • Just ignore what I say, in the same way you ignored the messages I wrote you to explain the situation... don't read them.

I didn't ask for your messages and I have no desire for any dialogue with you

If the forum worked as it should I would simply be able to ignore your posts - that is what the ignore function is for

Please don't contact me again

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • I have never had any dialogue with you that I remember, yet you felt entitled to slate me as a moderator, when I was legitimately discussing with a new user... it was none of your business.
    Instead of giving you an official warning, I wasted my time writing you a PM, two in fact. Of course that will never happen again and the former will happen instead.

As for your specific question, in the past, before becoming a mod, I did put people on my ignore list for reasons very similar to yours... it's a waste of time, as others comment in response to their comment and it becomes impossible to follow a thread if you wish to do so... if you don't, then there is no need to read them in the first place, so as a function is not very useful.
  • pinno
    @ beancounter (308 posts). i do not think that you have spent enough time on BR to make such judgements.
    If you knew your concave from your convex, the issue for some of us has been one of over moderation and here is you complaining about under moderation.
    To be fair to Ugo S and Velonutter et al, they are and have been prepared to engage with us on a level as fellow cyclists and have explained and accepted the deficiancies of the Classifieds section: the issue of legality, non fee paying ads etc and suggestions on addressing the problem. I agree with the 100 posts minimum idea (309 is maybe a better figure though).
    The original poster regarding the 'geekdan' issue, held his hands up and admitted that he had done something very silly and you are here at his bequest? Did you get scammed?

So I am sorry bc, you are like a dog with a bone and I think you should give up on this one.

PS @ Velonutter, thanks for PM - I'm still going to be a naughty boy and your still going to have to try to catch me at it! :D
    PPS @ Ugo S. You spanked the 'helmet/no helmet' boys, I think it's time to get your spanking gear out, he may enjoy it.
  • @ beancounter (308 posts). i do not think that you have spent enough time on BR to make such judgements.
    If you knew your concave from your convex, the issue for some of us has been one of over moderation and here is you complaining about under moderation.

I think you misread... BC is not talking about moderating, he has a personal issue with myself as he hates my comments about wheels... more specifically he convinced himself that my comments have the second aim to bring home business... in other words they are a form of advertising... as such I should not be a moderator and as a moderator I should refrain from imposing rules on others, since I break the rules my self by self-advertising.
    There you go, conspiracy theory at its best... :wink:
  • pinno
    My apologies, I thought it was linked to this:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Sorry, i didn't realise i needed to spell it out.

When a member has been scammed, I have gone as far as I can to email pdf docs of the adverts to the member who has been scammed, we have provided all IP addresses and email addresses, that is the only information that we hold. Adverts are moved to a safe area so they don't auto delete.

If you doubt that then remember when you signed up for an account? Well that is the only information we hold.

What more could I do.

We have plans afoot to prevent offenders accessing the Classifieds, but it still won't stop people making mistakes, that is why I wrote the advice below: -

viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12906418

(Still think he is a dog with a bone though)
  • (Still think he is a dog with a bone though)

The problem is more general... people tend to think that a moderator should be somewhat external to the site and only comment super partes, when in fact he is a normal user who has an extra control panel to deal with the day to day running of the forum... he will still feel strongly about Paul Walker hitting a lamp post at speed or have his judgement skewed towards hand built wheels regardless of his role as a moderator.
    That is somewhat unacceptable to some... If I had to cover an impartial, purely moderating role, I wouldn't do it for free... nobody would
  • arran77
    That is somewhat unacceptable to some... If I had to cover an impartial, purely moderating role, I wouldn't do it for free... nobody would

I completely agree with this, you're not paid to do what you do so you're a forum member first and a mod second, the two just go hand in hand in my opinion but I guess there are those who feel that the two rolls are not compatible.

I wouldn't want to try and do your job, I wouldn't have the patience to deal with all the shite that you no doubt encounter on a daily basis.

Like Pina said, they guys just like a dog with a bone :wink:

seanoconn
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Mods do see a side posters don't: reported posts etc.

They're the main driver in moderating action.