joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Urgh. Thank god I don't ever use one.

http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    They're great for warming socks up in, makes them nice and toasty before a ride :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,533
    bullshit alarm going crazy over here.
  • arran77
    monkimark wrote:

Stick your socks in then if you don't believe me!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,533
    No, I'm too worried about comprimising the energy or structure of my socks.

Besides, I'll get radiolytic compounds all stuck between my toes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    arran77 wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

I don't think he was referring to your socks arran :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

Well Joelsim's link is clearly bullshit so I assumed he was referring to my claim :wink:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

Oh, maybe he was :lol:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    That's why he is known as Arran Six Toes.
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:

You should see what's happened because I microwaved my pants :shock:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Shrivelled and died. Yeah, I heard.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Shrivelled and died. Yeah, I heard.

You're getting mixed up with Joelsim's post :P

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    Joelsim wrote:
    Urgh. Thank god I don't ever use one.

http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/
    The conspiracy section in usahitman, doesn't exactly add gravitas to the microwave story :wink:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Oh come on, surely it's the most robust test you've ever seen!

Probably safer to put your socks in than on the hob though.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've seen this experiment before and suspected it was bullshit, so seeing it reposted has given me the shove to look it up.

Here's the Snopes article:

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Their conclusion?
    Snopes wrote:
    Rather than simply speculate, though, we performed the same experiment in a more controlled manner. We started out with three each of three different types of plants: one member of each set was given water that had been boiled on a gas stove, water that had been boiled in a microwave oven, or water that had not been boiled at all. All the water used in the experiment came from the same source, the same vessel was used for boiling water both on the stove and in the microwave, and all three types of water were stored in identical containers. The water given to all of the plants was at room temperature. The plants were kept in a carefully controlled environment that protected them from our pets and equalized (as much as possible) their exposure to environmental factors and watered in the manner described above for a period of time identical to that of the original experiment.

As evidenced by the photos below (taken while the plants were briefly removed from the environment in which they were tended and placed in a setting better suited to photography), at the end of that time period all three plants in each set were fairly thriving. When a non-participating observer was asked to indicate (blindly) which plant in each set he thought had fared the best, in two cases he selected plants that had been given microwave-boiled water, and in one case he selected a plant that had been given unboiled water:
    TL:DR - It's bullshit
  • arran77
    Joelsim wrote:
    Oh come on, surely it's the most robust test you've ever seen!

Probably safer to put your socks in than on the hob though.

You need to be careful using the hob as it's very easy to singe the socks :shock:

seanoconn
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I put towels in mine to warm. I give the bath towel a light spray of water and then roll it up really tight, I microwave it for a couple of minutes and the steam penetrates the whole towel making feel hot and damp. Open it up and give it a shake and you have a nice hot, dry towel.

I've had a microwave since 1980. If there were any ill effects to the food, (and then to me) I think I would have noticed something more than this third nipple that's appeared on my thigh.

The older I get, the better I was.

• arran77
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I think I would have noticed something more than this third nipple that's appeared on my thigh.

I'd be more worried about the fact that you had two nipples on your thigh in the first place :shock:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    arran77 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I think I would have noticed something more than this third nipple that's appeared on my thigh.

I'd be more worried about the fact that you had two nipples on your thigh in the first place :shock:

Gives him options to play with.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    I've seen this experiment before and suspected it was bullshit, so seeing it reposted has given me the shove to look it up.

Here's the Snopes article:

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Their conclusion?
    Snopes wrote:
    Rather than simply speculate, though, we performed the same experiment in a more controlled manner. We started out with three each of three different types of plants: one member of each set was given water that had been boiled on a gas stove, water that had been boiled in a microwave oven, or water that had not been boiled at all. All the water used in the experiment came from the same source, the same vessel was used for boiling water both on the stove and in the microwave, and all three types of water were stored in identical containers. The water given to all of the plants was at room temperature. The plants were kept in a carefully controlled environment that protected them from our pets and equalized (as much as possible) their exposure to environmental factors and watered in the manner described above for a period of time identical to that of the original experiment.

As evidenced by the photos below (taken while the plants were briefly removed from the environment in which they were tended and placed in a setting better suited to photography), at the end of that time period all three plants in each set were fairly thriving. When a non-participating observer was asked to indicate (blindly) which plant in each set he thought had fared the best, in two cases he selected plants that had been given microwave-boiled water, and in one case he selected a plant that had been given unboiled water:
    TL:DR - It's bullshit

As a scientist, I couldn't believe some of the stuff I read in the original article - a bigger load of balls than a golf sale. No doubt the Ben Goldacres of this world would swiftly make mincemeat of it.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    arran77 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

:lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    monkimark wrote:

Would microwaving a homeopathic solution destroy its curative essence?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    MichaelW wrote:
    monkimark wrote:

Would microwaving a homeopathic solution destroy its curative essence?

Or as the Daily mash T-shirt proclaims: 'Homeopathy; making f@ck all difference since 1796'
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Gotta love this:

"2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food."

If they are unknown, how do you test this ?

BS alarm going crazy !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved