Reliable hydraulic seatpost

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm actually considering a fancy new hydraulic seatpost for my Mega.
Most people I know with upy downy posts have either had problems with them or they have worn and now have a lot of play in them. I don't know how well they have maintained them though.
Whats a good, reliable one which comes in 31.6mm size and will match a 400mm post at max extension?
100mm drop will be enough for me.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They all have their problems, you just have to choose what will bother you less.

Fox and Thomson aren't getting the best reviews, so Reverb is probably still the one to go for... or Specialized Command post, although may not be available in required size.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I'd go reverb, you hear a lot of problems but that's because it's by far the most popular dropper. It also means it's cheaper than other premium posts and plenty of spares are available.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    dusk wrote:
    I'd go reverb, you hear a lot of problems but that's because it's by far the most popular dropper. It also means it's cheaper than other premium posts and plenty of spares are available.

Plus for every one person moaning about them on the internet, there's probably about 10 people riding them happily without issue.

Mine arrived dud mind you :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    +1 for Reverb. Some have problems but then most droppers do go wrong at some point. I wouldn't swap mine for anything else out there atm
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It's inevitable really, seatposts take a battering so expecting it to be able to be telescopic with perfect function and no maintenance and still being lightweight is a big ask
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thanks for the comments. Maybe I will just stick with a qr and standard post for now.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    From what I've seen and personal experience, most seem to develop issues when they're around 12-18 months old, at which point a service is needed. I have no idea why people expect posts to not need servicing every year or so, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) leave your forks that long without a service, they should be serviced to keep them running smoothly.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    lawman wrote:
    From what I've seen and personal experience, most seem to develop issues when they're around 12-18 months old, at which point a service is needed. I have no idea why people expect posts to not need servicing every year or so, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) leave your forks that long without a service, they should be serviced to keep them running smoothly.

^^this, I've serviced my giant dropper (fnar) regularly as a pre emptive measure
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I can recommend the Spesh Command post. I service it regualr and it gets a good clean and relube after each ride. No problems yet.

I've seen people mention the 3 fixed heights as being a bit weird to get used to but they seem fairly intuitive and sensible to me.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Reverb is great, but I have just had another replacement and this one looks like it's not working properly. The. Warranty is awesome, but it gets annoying changing all the time. I here gravity dropper are good but they look like something built by Blue Peter
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    My reverb has worked faultlessly for the last 8 month's

Ordered it so the button goes "upside down" on the bar to protect it in a crash

Well happy :lol:
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Me and a few of my mates are using various different KS posts and one friend uses a Reverb. All have been working fine since we got them around April time. We 've all been on a few muddy and fritty rides and don't think anyone has given any special care to their dropper. Gets cleaned down once in a while with the rest of the bike and a little drop of oil.

In KS sizing I think you are looking at posts that have 150mm drop for the length you are after.