Bottom Bracket replacement for noob

revenup
revenup Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a carrera crossfire 1 with damaged bottom brackets (keeps skipping on pedal pressure). I want to change the bottom brackets myself. I'm not too sure how to proceed.
I am assuming the bike has square taper bottom bracket. Can you give me a little information on tools I need and maybe replacement bottom bracket options I can buy.
I have bought a crank puller/bottom bracket remover (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROAD-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-BICYCLE-Cycling-MTB-CRANK-PULLER-REMOVER-EXTRACTOR-TOOL-SET-/400577762535?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item5d444b94e7)

Thank you

Comments

• Bottom brackets don't skip.
  • so what's causing the skip?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Probably the chain slipping on the sprockets.
    How old is your chain and cassette?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chainrings and cassettes and chains normally.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA wrote:
    Probably the chain slipping on the sprockets.
    How old is your chain and cassette?
    6 years old :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll probably need to change the chain, cassette and cranks then......make sure no crud is trapped between the rear sprockets causing the chain to lift off the teeth first though.

The BB is the axle the cranks sit on, so can't cause chain skipping!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd suggest bringing the bike to a good LBS and have them use a chain wear gauge to tell you that you need a new cassette/ chain. Then, buy a matching cassette, chain, chain breaker, cassette lockring tool and chain-wip. Or if you don't want to invest in those tools, have them do it, it should only take about 15 minutes.