Kindle Fire

dbg
dbg Posts: 846
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Girlfriend is looking to buy one of these for Christmas but I've heard people say tablets are better value - she'd mainly use it to read books with some web browsing, is it the best solution at the price?

Comments

• Mrs MdL was thinking along the same lines a year or so ago, persuaded her to go for an iPad Mini, she wouldn't be without it now.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Erm, the Kindle Fire IS a tablet.

We have a traditional "grey" kindle, a Kindle Fire and an Ipad. The traditional Kindle is by far the nicest one to read from as the screen is so easy on the eye, not sensitive to light etc. There's little difference between the Fire and the Ipad other than screen size.

So the answer to your question is yes, it's excellent value for what you want it for.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I bought Mrs Slog a Kindle Fire.

It was the one that has to have a wireless hub nearby to pick up the internet. It's ok, and does what it's supposed to do with a little practice. We took it to Greece with us in the summer and were using it to look up stuff on the net using the apartments fairly dodging internet connection . This is the only "problem" with it I felt, you struggle to know whether the Kindle is not doing as it should or if it's the connection.

My standard kindle ereader can also pick up the net but it's a real ball ache to use that way.

The older I get, the better I was.

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Kindle Fire

or

Kindling for the fire?
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    I bought Mrs Slog a Kindle Fire.

It was the one that has to have a wireless hub nearby to pick up the internet. It's ok, and does what it's supposed to do with a little practice. We took it to Greece with us in the summer and were using it to look up stuff on the net using the apartments fairly dodging internet connection . This is the only "problem" with it I felt, you struggle to know whether the Kindle is not doing as it should or if it's the connection.

My standard kindle ereader can also pick up the net but it's a real ball ache to use that way.

No different to any other wireless device like say, an Ipad then!

We've downloaded books on holiday to both of our Kindles. Last couple of books bought on holiday were in a cafe with free wireless in the old town centre in Rhodes!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I bought a Kindle Fire 32GB for Mrs Biggins' birthday and she is really pleased with it. For the price, I think it's a very good buy. The one note of caution I'd raise is that the battery life is pretty short unless you turn down the brightness and turn off the wi-fi when not needed. This may well be the case with iPads etc too but I've never used them.
  • Have you thought about the tesco hudl, i've just bought my dad one for christmas.
  • I use a kindle fire HD for everything. ( except reading books as I have an old ordinary kindle). Great web browser, in the house or anywhere with WiFi. Out and about I can tether it to my mobile to use the 3g.
    I also use dropbox so photos taken on phone transfer automatically copy to tablet ( & home computer, wife's iPad etc). I can then post to here or anywhere else.
    Imho, the iPad is capable of so much more than just browsing and email. This is why it costs so much more. Note, kindle fire HD is same size as iPad mini and they have just bought out a larger version.
  • PS. Let you in on a secret.
    The adverts that everyone is complaining about on the forum - they don't appear when using the kindle fire !!!
    I have been annoyed by them when on iPad.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    My gf bought a Kindle fire last xmas, can't get her off the bleedin' thing now ...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    giant man wrote:
    My gf bought a Kindle fire last xmas, can't get her off the bleedin' thing now ...

Flippin dating sites.
  • Have had kindle fire for 6 months now and wouldn't be without it now
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Kindle Fire is a good buy - as long as you can hack out that utterly terrible front end Amazon have smashed onto their devices. The vanilla Android front end is much better.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.