Triple or double crankset?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Looking to get a new bike and some come with double and some have triple chain rings on the crankset! Bit confused as to which would be best? Mostly going to be doing XC riding and a little bit of trail.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would only want a triple if I was going to do a lot of road miles.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It would be way down my list of priorities when choosing a bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I would only want a double if I was going to do a lot of road miles, single otherwise ;-)

At the end of the day it's personal, and will depend a lot of you and your riding style. Not all doubles are created equal either, a lot of folk use 22/36, but 28/42 is more common in XC racing circles.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It would be way down my list of priorities when choosing a bike.
    This
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it depends more on the ratios rather than double or triple as njee said.

I run a double using a 24/36 up front and an 11-34 on the rear.

my mate who's an xc whippet uses 27/42 up front.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I would only want a triple if I was going to do a lot of road miles.

Ignore this comment

If your new to riding you'll probably need a granny ring (smallest one on a triple)
  • njee20
    Again though, plenty of doubles will have a 22t ring anyway.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I used to run a triple, and thought the range of 30 gears was a great idea, then thought about what I used.
    I was always in the middle, or top ring, so I ditched the granny ring, and ended up with a double.
    Then I realised I never used the top ring unless I was doing a sprint down a firetrack or something of the sort, was no need for it on trails, so ditched that to and went 1x10.
    Ultimately, I'd recommend a double, triple just seems unnecessary. however, shouldn't really be a defining factor for which bike you choose.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A real man would ditch all rings and run on smugness.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    njee20 wrote:
    I would only want a double if I was going to do a lot of road miles, single otherwise ;-)

Why would you want a granny ring on road?
  • A granny ring is not always a granny! As said above if you read it, it can be 22t (proper granny) or in a modern double 28 or even a 32t so not a granny in the traditional sense, just the inner ring
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:

A bike powered only by the riders own sense of self-satisfaction? You'd become a millionaire over night!

As for cranksets... as others have said, I wouldn't let it make or break a bike I really liked but personal preference for me would always be double over triple. Although single ring is my actual preference ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Whatever is fitted to your favourite bike / the bike you are going to buy.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • njee20

As Chunkers said, I wouldn't, I'd want something bigger. I've not used a 22t ring for about 8 years, and wouldn't ever go back. However, I'm not the OP, so didn't recommend it!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

A bike powered only by the riders own sense of self-satisfaction? You'd become a millionaire over night!

And Orange riders would be fast as f**k...
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    njee20 wrote:

He said double.

My road bike is 39/53 and I'm sure when I used to race (25 years ago) it was 42/52 (with a 12-18, 7 speed block)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    A granny ring is not always a granny! As said above if you read it, it can be 22t (proper granny) or in a modern double 28 or even a 32t so not a granny in the traditional sense, just the inner ring

some triples don't have 22t as the granny ring, just to add to the confusion. Mine is 24/32/42
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Obviously, it was an example! 22, 24, 26 - all traditional MTB triple granny rings.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Thanks for all the replies, I doubt it will be that hard to change it should I go for a bike with a triple down to double and add a bash guard. Front mechs seem fairly cheap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you convert a triple to double and bash you rarely need a new front mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I went for a double as I worked out my XC riding meant I would spend most of my time in the bigger front chain ring. This lead to much smoother riding as I rarely changed front chain rings unless it became very steep. Its just down to how you ride and what you prefer, other riders prefer triples for differing reasons.