Heart Rate Variance

pilch
pilch Posts: 1,136
edited December 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Anybody using this? What do you think? I've been taking readings for 3 months now using ithlete, got a good baseline and i'm interested to see if it picks up early signs of over training and the onset of illness as they claim, initial signs look promising.
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

Comments

• generally speak, if your not fully recovered from a session your resting HR will be higher (above what it normally is)
    and with illness your HR would be higher than normal, it can give good indications of illness* and over training, but if you were over training you would know about it.

Use it more to see if your recovered or not,
    *keep records of days you know you are tired, so you can compare etc.

A
    I do science, sometimes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    mentalalex wrote:
    generally speak, if your not fully recovered from a session your resting HR will be higher (above what it normally is)
    and with illness your HR would be higher than normal, it can give good indications of illness* and over training, but if you were over training you would know about it.

Use it more to see if your recovered or not,
    *keep records of days you know you are tired, so you can compare etc.

A

Cheers, that's not HRV though, Heart rate variance is the difference between heart beats averaged over a static time period. It is a more accurate way of measuring your recovery and readiness to train and/or over training, it goes down when you are tired and rises when you are fit/recovered.

Over training is not always easy to spot, especially in the early stages, once you have established a good baseline HRV gives you a very early indicator when things start to go pear shaped. If you are overtrained (as I was this season, which is why I started using it) it is a great indicator that helps you to climb out of the hole as soon as possible.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer