Kinda perfected my "comfy but fast" bike tonight :)

2»

Comments

• Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Edited pics into first post. :mrgreen:

Since first post it has had a CREE x3 light added.

Yes the chainrings, chain and cassette are bloody filthy, I know, I know. :oops:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yep - looks just like one of the Btwin 'Fit' bikes. Clearance is a bit tight on those tyres...
  • Manc33
    edited December 2013
    Imposter wrote:
    Yep - looks just like one of the Btwin 'Fit' bikes. Clearance is a bit tight on those tyres...

Yes but the nearest one to the Triban 3 (Fit 5) costs £380 so it would have all cost me £80 more regardless, because I would still be swapping the shifters and the cassette with it being a 12-25, everything I have swapped off the Triban 3 already I would have done the same on a Fit 5.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-fit-5- ... 39798.html

12-25 cassette :roll:

Then again the one at £380 is based on 9 speed which is a big plus for parts these days over 8 speed.

Clearance is tight but it has the thinnest Marathon Plus on @ 25c. Would have got 23c if they made them.
  • Tbh I think a lot of people are now just annoyed that you have turned out to not be a troll.

I think it looks quite nice, and whilst you could have bought a bike very similar, you have had the pleasure of building this how you wanted, something a lot of people happily do on this forum with various frames.

As for clearance being tight, doesn't look much worse than my Ribble - with 23mm tyres.
  • Manc33
    Nairnster wrote:
    Tbh I think a lot of people are now just annoyed that you have turned out to not be a troll.

Why would I be? Because you can get those flat bar commuter bikes? :lol:
    Nairnster wrote:
    I think it looks quite nice, and whilst you could have bought a bike very similar, you have had the pleasure of building this how you wanted, something a lot of people happily do on this forum with various frames.

Thats just it. I never even touched or saw an XTR shifter until I got some, it is a step up from Altus.

Any fit bike with XTR shifters would cost Alice in Wonderland figures to me.
    Nairnster wrote:
    As for clearance being tight, doesn't look much worse than my Ribble - with 23mm tyres.

I think the Triban 3 has a slightly relaxed geometry compared to a full race bike. Its kinda between a tourer and race bike. Personally I wish it was a bit more relaxed but I want comfort.

That sodding Brooks weighs it down @ 500g-600g. Was tempted at those £30 carbon jobbies on eBay that claim to be 92g-105g. Saves nearly one entire pound! :roll:

Then I am adding stuff like 18650x6 battery packs... :|

I guess its about 25lb. I looked into getting "carbon everything" and estimated that to cost around £700 to £800 including the cost of Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes, but using the chainset, shifters, etc I have now. Everything else would be carbon, the bars, stem, frame, fork, seat clamp, seat post, saddle, rims (which is why disc brakes are a must). I estimated that to make the 23lb bike around 18lb and thought sod it, not worth it. If it was getting near to 16lb then maybe. Then I thought about how much I wanna keep that Brooks on it and could never justify it on such a bike anyway lol. Cha ching, saved £800. :mrgreen:
  • Nairnster wrote:
    Tbh I think a lot of people are now just annoyed that you have turned out to not be a troll.
    Definitely :D

It's nearly Christmas, we really need another Decals or Raisins thread....
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Manc33
    In posting the pics though, I still got the same outcome as a troll - people got annoyed. :?:

It can't be too bad then. :lol:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If you like it that's what counts.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    diamonddog wrote:
    If you like it that's what counts.

+1

It looks alright to me - really hope you enjoy riding it.
  • Manc33
    Next upgrade is gonna be Kool Stop salmons. Doing all my biking up a 22% hill these days and coming back down that in the rain... if you didn't brake for only 5 secs you'd probably be doing about 40 MPH. :lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I used to have those pedals on my Kona Caldera. Everyone hated them but I liked them, they are mega grippy, just dont bash your shins on them!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Nairnster wrote:

Actually I am more annoyed that you have to click back to the first post to see them....and as for the state of that radiator, well, really :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Manc33
    smidsy wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:

Actually I am more annoyed that you have to click back to the first post to see them....and as for the state of that radiator, well, really :shock:

Its had 20+ years and three generations of people putting bikes against it. :P