2013 Giant TCR SL 1 versus Giant Defy Composite 3 2014

Meerkat16
Meerkat16 Posts: 320
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I am sure i have narrowed my next bike purchase to one of the following two bikes.

2013 Giant TCR SL 1 with full Ultegra reduced to £1099 or 2014 Giant Defy Composite 3 with Tiagra for £1099

Groupset wise it's a no brainer with the TCR being full Ultegra but the Composite is carbon and can eventually be upgraded although this will put the price of the Composite around £1600 when upgraded. I have been told that the Ali frame on the TCR is as good as the Composite Carbon frame.

Am i right unsaying that there are different quality Carbon frames and not all are the same?

Any feedback from owners of these two models?

I have just seen a 2014 Cube Agree GTC Pro with full 105 groupset and Fulcrum 7 wheels for £1150

Comments

• I'd get the carbon frame.
  • Before i would have said the same but but i have heard others say it is better to buy an expensive ali frame bike than a cheap Carbon frame bike
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I'd personally get the TCR. Then again, both frames have a lifetime warranty.

I've got both the TCR and a Defy. The TCR seems to handle better, and is a little longer which suited me down to the ground.
  • anto164 wrote:
    I'd personally get the TCR. Then again, both frames have a lifetime warranty.

I've got both the TCR and a Defy. The TCR seems to handle better, and is a little longer which suited me down to the ground.
    Does the TCR have more an aggressive seating position on the bike than the Defy Composite?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    [/quote]
    Does the TCR have more an aggressive seating position on the bike than the Defy Composite?[/quote]

^this
    Have you tried both/any yet?
    The TCR has a racier geometry compared to the more relaxed Defy.
    The Defy has longer chainstays etc.

I've only ever had a TCR Composite and now a TCR Advanced SL and I don't race but the frame has still been comfortable
    over 6-8 hr rides.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Meerkat16 wrote:
    Before i would have said the same but but i have heard others say it is better to buy an expensive ali frame bike than a cheap Carbon frame bike

This is a myth. :shock:
    Get the one you like the best be it the carbon or aluminium.