Cable Lube that doesn't freeze (Wax)

hp1975
hp1975 Posts: 31
edited December 2013 in The workshop
I have a full run of outer for the BB7s on my On-One Pompetamine. Theyre awsome brakes but the rear freezes in as little as -1C. I'm onto my second winter with this bike and its been doing this pretty much since I built it so I dont think its water inside the outer. I can only assume its the lube (i did put quite a bit in with it being a full cable run) freezing, or waxing to use the technical term i think.

Just curious as to what everyone else uses for full cable runs, lube wise that is? I cant even remember what I used, it could have been Fenwicks Teflon stuff?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GT 85 is all I use, not much either, none really required with modern cables.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's definitely freezing at -1c then it has to be water in the system somewhere.

I just use a drop of 3 - in - 1 oil when installing cables. May or may not help, but it's a habit now. I ride all year round, but I've never had anything freeze on me.