Giant defy 4 (2013) and Proper Mudguards

DexDexterBMX
DexDexterBMX Posts: 27
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for any advice please.

I have a Giant defy 4 which has made it's way to a winter bike.

I have Crud 2s on it which I'm not that keen on as they are flimsyer than I would like.

I also don't want SKS Raceblades as they don't provide full coverage under the brakes.

But I would like some 'proper' mudgaurds.

I think the Defy 4 will take them as it has various lugs and mounts etc but am looking for advice on the best type and also experience of what what works best on this bike.

Looking for max coverage and most bomb proof.

Thanks.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    giant do there own mudguards for defy range.what better than giants own.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Any other opinions on the long boards, chromoplatics or blummels?

Giant's own could be an option too. I'll google them to see if I like them.
  • By the looks of it the Giant ones don't seem to provide full coverage under the brake? Is this correct?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    No idea, just seen them for sale in my lbs and as I have giants then that's what I will get.Will ask next time in the shop.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • By the looks of it the Giant ones don't seem to provide full coverage under the brake? Is this correct?

Yep that's correct, there's insufficient room.
  • Phil562 wrote:
    By the looks of it the Giant ones don't seem to provide full coverage under the brake? Is this correct?

Yep that's correct, there's insufficient room.

So does that mean the sks options wont work?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    DexDexter

There is a thread on the Road Beginners Forum titled "Fitting a mudguard to my Giant Defy 5" read it for more info.
  • Sks raceblade longs fit on a medium frame with 25c tyres, no rubbing.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    The defy Mudguards I have fit on my (2011 XL) Defy 2. They don't protect the brakes, but the do mean that you can fit a 25c tyre and a mudguard under short drop brakes. They are also very permanent, attaching to the defy eyelets. They do require occasional adjusting of 10mm bolts to seat the mudguard correctly if you bend it (loading into the boot of the car, or getting bashed when locked up in town). They otherwise run really well with none of the flex with the road racer mudguards i tried before.
  • Thanks for everyone's replies.

having read everything and the other suggested threads I still dont have an answer as to what mudgaursd that provide brake coverage will fit.

I'm guessing none seeing as Giant's own dont provide brake coverage.

Unless anyone has any ideas about longboards or blummels?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    DexDexter

I think you will find that there is insufficient clearance on your Defy to fit the type of full mudguards that you are looking for, that's the reason why the Giant Defy specific mudguards have a cut-out section under the brake caliper fork/rear stay mounting. As mentioned previously you can use 23mm or 25mm section tyres with the Defy specific guards.

The Crud Roadracer mk2 you already have offer some protection under the brake caliper area, so maybe you should stick with them and see how it goes.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    just use SKS Raceblades and clean under the brake every so often when it starts to get dirty. They are really good solid guards and MUCH better than the flexi crappy Cruds and do a perfectly good job. Just get the wide version if you want to run 25's and you have really good protection - just add your own flaps if you're doing group riding and dont want to spray the people behind (like 99% of guards)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...