Genesis Day 01 Alfine - Disc Brakes

RossMu
RossMu Posts: 59
edited December 2013 in The workshop
Quick question,

I recently took my Genesis Day 01 Alfine 8 Cyclocross to a bike shop as I have experienced some problems with the rear disc brake; try as I may I cannot seem to align properly; either the wheel does not spin freely, or I cannot brake.

The workshop advised the problem was the brake calipers currently fitted. He advised that it was currently running with Mountain Bike calipers, but that the bike should be running with Road Bike calipers. Having done some research, this seems to be contrary to what others are running.

Does this seem right?

Comments

• hp1975
    hp1975 Posts: 31
    My mate has GDO, 2013 model with BB5 brakes and road brake levers. MTB calipers require more cable pulled and therefore need a lever that pulls enough cable. Not sure what years model you have but should come with road levers and therefore the matching road version of the disc caliper

Is the bike brand new? Is this a new problem that has just materialized? Did the bike shop note whether the front caliper was the same? Try swapping the calipers over to see if the problem persists with front caliper matched with the rear lever?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you have drop levers, then yes you ideally need road calipers, MTB calipers can be made to work with careful setup, I have road (flat bar) levers andMTB calipers, but you have to keep them adjusted in tight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RossMu
    Thanks folks!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What's the make and model of the brake fitted? I would be surprised in the extreme if your bike has been supplied with MTB calipers by Genesis.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RossMu
    Good question...

I know it currently has Shimano Calipers fitted, but not 100% sure of the model. I have attached a couple of pics if it helps?

I should point out that I bought the bike 2nd hand; I doubt that Genesis fitted the wrong type of disc brakes, but think it could possibly be that the previous owner replaced them with an incorrect type.

bffj1u.jpg
    ztw0hx.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Yup, MTB callipers, they won't work well with drop levers, who put them on? Ideally you want BB5/BB7 road calipers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Just picked up some bits from a chap in my club, has a Genesis Croix De fir, Shimano mechanical MTB callipers, totally pants until he put on some BB5s.......