Finally clicked on buy...

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
After months of scanning shops, websites, forums etc I have finally taken the plunge and ordered my next bike... A 2013 felt AR5 (cue the arse jokes...) with Shimano 105... It was such a good saving that I couldn't resist.. Does anyone have any constructive information regarding Felt as a brand etc? I know it won't be to everyone's taste but I'll admit to being shallow and being swayed by it's looks!
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• You've bought it, it's too late to ask for opinions now; and counter-productive to do so. Never read reviews after you've purchased ;)
  • Gpfanuk
    Hence I asked for opinions on Felt as a brand! TBH I always do my own thing anyway, I was just looking to gauge opinion on Felt overall. Coming from a £300 Triban I'm sure it will feel amazing!
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I have 2 Felts, a time trial bike and a MTB, both are fine and were good value for money, thanks to clearance sales by Mr Wiggle. There are several lads locally riding Felts as well, and I have not heard of them having any problems.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Looks like a really nice bike and a great price. Worry not what others think. Just ride it.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have a Felt carbon MTB and my father has the F85.
    Both are really nice bikes
    Enjoy!

Matt
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Hence I asked for opinions on Felt as a brand! TBH I always do my own thing anyway
    Its the same thing. If the brand is poor then your bike will likely be poor.
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    I always do my own thing anyway
    Which is why our opinions on the brand are worthless.

Once you've bought something you have to live with your choice. Stop asking for feedback and stop checking shops for similar items as something new and better may come along or you find your purchase for sale at a cheaper price.
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    I have a 2012 Felt AR4, with full Ultegra. I love it, can't fault it at all and i think the frame is one of the nicest around. Currently saving for a set of 50mm carbon wheels to top it off!

Get some pics up once you get it, will be interested to see it! You'll love it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Felt are so called because rather than use carbon fibre impregnated with resin for the construction, Felt use actual felt impregnated with a special glue, of differing strengths leading to the different model numbers. (5 being the weakest 1 being the strongest). They have a carbon fibre cosmetic layer applied for stiffness and appearance. This is how they get away with saying their frames are carbon fibre.
    As a result I don't own a Felt and this is the exact reason why Team Garmin no longer use them.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gpfanuk
    Hi Napd, surely for them to state its carbon fibre is false advertising then? Surely they would have to use Carbon laminate or similar?
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Felt are so called because rather than use carbon fibre impregnated with resin for the construction, Felt use actual felt impregnated with a special glue, of differing strengths leading to the different model numbers. (5 being the weakest 1 being the strongest). They have a carbon fibre cosmetic layer applied for stiffness and appearance. This is how they get away with saying their frames are carbon fibre.
    As a result I don't own a Felt and this is the exact reason why Team Garmin no longer use them.

Nap, hope this isn't a wind up as I expect the OP isn't feeling too great about his purchase right now!
  • napoleond
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Hi Napd, surely for them to state its carbon fibre is false advertising then? Surely they would have to use Carbon laminate or similar?

Yeah the carbon laminate is the cosmetic layer over the felt/glue mix
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gpfanuk
    Anybody want to buy A Felt AR5? Unused, still boxed? :wink:
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • Gpfanuk
    In fact I am changing my surname to Spitnsawdust asap... I am launching a new range of bikes starting with the all new SNS01... coming to a retailer of cookie cutters near you any day soon... :D
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I have only two things to say to that; Bollocks!
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • napoleond
    This Felt frame was ridden under some overhead power lines.

IMG_4206-1024x768.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Or rather, the owner of the company is called Jim Felt.
  • Gpfanuk
    Just raised the query with a friend who has links with Calfee.. Should be interesting...
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    NapoleonD wrote:

And Team Garmin joined forces with the Cervelo Team.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Is it the 1st of April? :)
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

Utter rubbish!

And I suppose Trek is named after it's founder Colin Trek?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Utter rubbish!

Nap, you are a very bad man!
  • NapD - I did actually laugh out loud! Very good.

OP - I rode an AR3 2011 for over 2000 miles with a large and ugly chew out of the chain stay from a chain drop debacle. It never delaminated, cracked, creaked, moaned or groaned. In fact, i was seriously impressed with how strong it remained even after being so badly and clumsily chain chewed. I eventually gobbed some epoxy putty in to stop any water ingress into the laminate and the frame is still going strong today (bought knowingly by a riding mate).

The AR is a lovely frame (for me at least) and i rode it on anything from 30 mile threshold efforts through to two Fred Whittons. The only thing that let it down were the Felt branded wheels but they were perfectly serviceable just a bit heavv.

Coming off your current bike you will fly, my current Scott Foil Premium doesn't feel a million miles away which upsets me given the investment i made to upgrade!

And i can safely say the AR doesn't have any Felt in its layup! :-))))
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Utter rubbish!

Hahaha! Certainly beats tweets about turbo training, that's for sure!
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    This thread has made laugh from start to finish...

Great work guys :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Funny that. I was telling my dad I'd ordered a Felt bike for next year he said 'wouldn't have thought a bike made out of felt would be much use'! Lol. I'm sure you'll love the new bike, be sure to post some pictures when you get it.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Hence I asked for opinions on Felt as a brand! TBH I always do my own thing anyway, I was just looking to gauge opinion on Felt overall. Coming from a £300 Triban I'm sure it will feel amazing!
    Still too late... It's bought now!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Utter rubbish!

Nah the founder of Trek was a Star Trek fan, and the founder of Giant was very large.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gpfanuk
    It finally arrived yesterday so built it up last night. Spent the evening tweaking, staring and struggling to remove the dork disc. All being well it will be up on the OCP thread on Sunday (weather permitting). I intend to score a ten on this one although I'm sure Nap will haul me up over something! :roll:
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
  • napoleond
    Get it posted sharpish!! Put it in it's own thread, then you don't have to worry about 'The Rules'.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    It finally arrived yesterday so built it up last night. Spent the evening tweaking, staring and struggling to remove the dork disc.

I use a soldering iron, it melts through it quite easily.