"First defence" cold remedy

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Why did they invent water-boarding as a torture if this was available?

Ten minutes after using it I'm still in agony and I can hardly see to type.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    You're supposed to spray it up your nose not into your eyes :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hot toddies at night.
    Next day in bed.

Stop sharing your germs with colleagues.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    3-4 squirts up each nostril, do not tilt head back and ffs do not inhale

so that you don't just expel it all, resist urge to blow the runny nose that follows, instead dab genteely with tissue

i've used it a few times, touch wood it does seem to reduce duration/severity of colds
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    sungod wrote:

so that you don't just expel it all, resist urge to blow the runny nose that follows, instead dab genteely with tissue

i've used it a few times, touch wood it does seem to reduce duration/severity of colds[/quote]

Semi serious question. How do you know? You can't compare it to how quickly you would have naturally recovered.
    I'm just recovering from a cold that has hung around over a week, which is the worst cold I've had for years, but I have no way of knowing if I would have recovered more quickly taking different remedies.
  • capt_slog
    That'll teach me to RTFM!

I've just checked the instruction leaflet and it says "Do not inhale deeply".

Too late :oops:

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Capt Slog wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I would have done the same. If you stick something up your nose, where's the fun in not inhaling?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    seanoconn wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I would have done the same. If you stick something up your nose, where's the fun in not inhaling?

Are we back on to Nigella??
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    Ballysmate wrote:
    sungod wrote:

i've used it a few times, touch wood it does seem to reduce duration/severity of colds[/quote]

Semi serious question. How do you know? You can't compare it to how quickly you would have naturally recovered.
    I'm just recovering from a cold that has hung around over a week, which is the worst cold I've had for years, but I have no way of knowing if I would have recovered more quickly taking different remedies.

yeah i know, i'm a sample of one in an uncontrolled trial, but i've had 3-4 colds since first trying it early last year, all have gone away in under a week and not been bad, for the preceding decades colds lasted around two weeks and were usually a sore throated nose bunged mucus ridden misery for at least a week of that

might be coincidence, or placebo effect, or simply that i didn't get the fuggid bad virus of the past, but the little squirty bottle lasts for a couple of years, so it's low cost per use, i'll happily continue to use it if i carry on with only mild colds, irrespective of why they're mild
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • capt_slog
    My old mum's take on colds.....

If you leave a cold alone, it lasts for 14 days.
    If you take medicines and 'treat' it, it'll be gone in two weeks.

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Capt Slog wrote:

We must be tougher up here.
    I was told it would be 6 days, or half a dozen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • capt_slog
    daviesee wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

We must be tougher up here.
    I was told it would be 6 days, or half a dozen.

It could have been a week and 7 days that she says, the point is still the same. :lol:

• In order to get rid of a cold, a few people I know swear by putting Vicks on their feet, then a pair of socks, just before going to bed. Their cold is all but gone by morning, and completely gone in under 48 hours.

Never tried it myself, and it sounds like a "their pulling your leg" type of thing ... but according to t'internet it does work apparently. May be worth a shot next time.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Day Nurse capsules (not liquid) and Sudafed nasal spray.