new road helmet

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
kids want to buy a new/second-hand road helmet for me for xmas just need some advice really what makes and models to recommend I do like the Boardman pro c helmets (do ride a Boardman bike ) and good reviews on here for the Louis garneau helmets any other suggestions ? prob look for second-hand has they will be £80 plus new so any good places to look on the net apart from eBay ? thanks for any reply's

Comments

• Firstly I would never recommend buying a second hand helmet! That is one step away from second hand condoms in my mind.

Recommending brands of helmets is fairly silly as well really because it all depends on personal preference for the fit. The more you pay tends to go towards lightweight build, more technical straps and clasps and more air ducts, there is no extra safety.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Second hand is a definite no IMO, there are loads of new helmets out there from about £20 upwards and all should have passed the required quality control tests etc.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I agree that you should never buy a second-hand helmet, unless perhaps from somebody you know very well and trust completely, where they have assured you that it has never been crashed, received a significant knock or been left in a car in sunlight...

Bike helmets are one-use items that require the foam to be structurally intact to work properly. You can't always tell by examining a helmet closely whether the foam has been compromised.

For selecting a helmet, fit is all important. Never buy a helmet without trying it on and comparing the fit to other models!
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 109
    thanks guys for the info will go to try some new ones one
  • Have a look at the online warehouses - they have the last year's models at silly discounts because the colours or patterns have changed slightly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fit is foremost. Everything else isnt important.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Giro Savant and Specialized Echelon are decent enough for around £50. Go for white/silver or black so it goes with anything you wear or any colour of bike.
  • Giro Monza is a good, low cost helmet provided it fits your head. Others available too.
  • I have the Boardman Pro Carbon Helmet that I picked up for £65 or somewhere around there. It's pretty light compared to my other helmets (MTB and p*ss pot lids) and quite comfy. Straps can be hard to adjust in gloves but that's the only criticism. Been fine on all day rides and whilst racing.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I bought the Giro Savant for £40 about half a year ago. Have had no complaints.