Froome's autobiography... counting the hours!

Comments

• It's getting like the football book market. Whilst I admire the Froomedog I would prefer to hear about his career many years from now.

I have a stack of books to read mainly cycling books interspersed with Swedish crime novels.
  • Most irrelevant sport celebrity to write an autobiography?

I read three pages of Tony Cascarino's that I found on a plane... it seemed like something you write as an essay when you are 12 years old... he probably even had someone writing that crap for him
    left the forum March 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    I read three pages of Tony Cascarino's that I found on a plane... it seemed like something you write as an essay when you are 12 years old... he probably even had someone writing that crap for him

Didn't Kimmage ghost that?
  • Most irrelevant sport celebrity to write an autobiography?

Sports celebrity is pushing it, but I'll be honest I'm struggling with My Life as a Dog, by Pudsey the dancing dog

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 00637.html
  • r0bh wrote:

Didn't Kimmage ghost that?

LOL

It was Kimmage
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Most irrelevant sport celebrity to write an autobiography?
    You could say Charly Wegelius - a pro in a minority sport that never won a race while at teams no-one British much cares about.

But as he showed, some of the more irrelevant people write the best books.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    You could say Charly Wegelius - a pro in a minority sport that never won a race while at teams no-one British much cares about.

But as he showed, some of the more irrelevant people write the best books.

Jeez... Wegelius wrote an autobiography?... He must have done it himself as I can't see a publisher bothering with Wegelius
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2013
    Jeez... Wegelius wrote an autobiography?... He must have done it himself as I can't see a publisher bothering with Wegelius
    No, same publisher as Cav's book. It's supposedly very good. Ghost written by Tom Southam.

Of course, the publisher may have hired them to write about Roger Hammond but found they went off and wrote about Italian cycling instead.
  • I only liked the memoir of Jesus Manzano... chilling!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    it's a good insight into being a domestique which automatically makes it different from the traditional ThenIwonthisandthenIwonthatanditwasgreat stuff you get in most sports biographies
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Sports celebrity is pushing it, but I'll be honest I'm struggling with My Life as a Dog, by Pudsey the dancing dog

Is it the big words you're struggling with? Stick at it and try to sound them out is my tip.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    No, same publisher as Cav's book. It's supposedly very good. Ghost written by Tom Southam.

Of course, the publisher may have hired them to write about Roger Hammond but found they went off and wrote about Italian cycling instead.

Controversial...

Wegelius' book is a very good read. He covers the worlds thing pretty honestly, gives reasons but no excuses.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Pross wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    It might be better than expected. To be fair the whole growing up in Africa, going it alone in Europe, suffering serious parasitic disease then winning the Tour is quite a good start. Chris Hoy's autobiog represents the nadir to date for me. A very comfortable middle class upbringing, a very comfortable sporting career well supported by British Cycling, hard work yielding top results - its just not very interesting, much as I respect the guy.

Not so well supported by BC in his early days, as I recall.

He laid a wooden floor for a mate of mine who was a BC coach back in those days to earn some extra cash!

Didnt G's brother or cousin do some roofing for you recently?? Just how small is South Wales???

Not for me but if you can find his number I do need some work done! Hoy did the work in Manchester though which is actually just outside Great South Wales :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Wow. A lot of things to pick up here.

Rich - i don't think you can blame Anne Frank for publishing her diaries. I don't think that was a choice SHE made :shock: (I was going to put a smiley, but it didn't feel appropriate).

Ugo - the Wegelius book is really very good. Also, the Tony Cascarino autobiography ghosted by Kimmage is a bit more than your average football pro's story. He played in France and integrated himself, he talks about the abuse he received in football, his playing for Ireland despite not being qualified, his mental demons, doping, gambling, serious injuries and other people in the game without the usual guard. Its good. Probably not as good if you didn't grow up watching UK football in the 80s/90s though.

The most "unusual" autobiography by a sportsman - again a Kimmage book. Written by an England U21 prop - Matt Hampson. Never made his Leicester Tigers debut, although played a couple of games off of the bench. He also became a paraplegic requiring permanent use of a ventilator to breath during an England U21 scrummaging session. Say what you like about Kimmage, he writes very well.

Microwaving potatoes. Microwave them and then pop them in a high oven for 10 minutes and then the skins go nice. Cannot say if the same thing happens for kittens.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    r0bh wrote:
    Is this a new forum trend, people posting about what books they won't be buying? We already had Frenchie on not buying the Walsh Sky book the other day.

Perhaps we need a dedicated "books I won't be buying" thread...

LOL :)

Well, that is Frenchie for you. Not enough for him to flag up what he likes, but he also has to set up a thread informing us of a book release . Then telling us he wont be reading it as he douse not approve of the team the guy rides for. Really, you could not make this stuff up. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh, did I tell you, I will NOT be supporting any un repentant drug cheats next year. Just thought I would let you all know. :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Easily the best cycling book I read this year. And I read them all, aside from the Tour cash in unit shifters.

And Cavendish books. Even though Friebe offered to ghost my autobiography.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Will you bitch about X-Box in there too?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    And the Wegelius book is outstanding, far, far superior to the usual, and then I won this race and that race schtick.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I'm a bit upset that no one has asked me how the Batman vs Aliens book is going.
    Truth is that Elf Sky business has put a downer on the day and I have run out of custard creams.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Even though Friebe offered to ghost my autobiography.

I saw that.

I just don't think Friebe could carry off the the world weary cynicism for you.

You need Kimmage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Even though Friebe offered to ghost my autobiography.

I saw that.

I just don't think Friebe could carry off the the world weary cynicism for you.

You need Kimmage.
    Lionel Birnie is the man for the job. I used to suspect that Iain and Lionel were one and the same person.
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    It might be better than expected. To be fair the whole growing up in Africa, going it alone in Europe, suffering serious parasitic disease then winning the Tour is quite a good start. Chris Hoy's autobiog represents the nadir to date for me. A very comfortable middle class upbringing, a very comfortable sporting career well supported by British Cycling, hard work yielding top results - its just not very interesting, much as I respect the guy.

Not so well supported by BC in his early days, as I recall.

He laid a wooden floor for a mate of mine who was a BC coach back in those days to earn some extra cash!

Didnt G's brother or cousin do some roofing for you recently?? Just how small is South Wales???

Not for me but if you can find his number I do need some work done! Hoy did the work in Manchester though which is actually just outside Great South Wales :wink:

It was me. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rayjay
    mroli wrote:
    Does Batman win?

Sorry about the custard creams situation - but this is how you make custard cream in a microwave:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.461490247213090.112912.203104193051698&type=3

Spoiler alert,,,,, Batmans dead :shock: Just joking :) Very good graphic novel though. Not as good as my favourite graphic novel Kingdom Come.

Thanks for the custard cream recipe. Top stuff.
    You have cheered me up and I can always go and buy Elf on DVD.
    Cheers :)
  • That was one hell of a time to read a comic Rayjay ... In the meantime, Garfield has hated Monday's and eaten a whole lasagne (all in 3 wee boxes) ...
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I think there are some interesting angles in his life. Froome's father Clive comes Gloucestershire and sent his two eldest sons to Rugby school. A large financial outlay for two boarders. One lives in London and neither are interested in cycling. Why was Froome sent to an Afrikaner speaking school in South Africa ? Was he the dunce of the family ? He would of had a hard time there. He later went to another school where he became interested in cycling. If he had been educated privately in England he would probably be an accountant with a bike from Halfords.

Clive Froome says some interesting things on drugs here. If Chris was taking PEDs it would involve telling untruths to his father.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... sses-pride
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    When they retire from the sport then its time for a book.
  • rayjay
    That was one hell of a time to read a comic Rayjay ... In the meantime, Garfield has hated Monday's and eaten a whole lasagne (all in 3 wee boxes) ...

Your not wrong . Whiteboytrash has taken things up a notch on the other thread. I think someone could die :lol:
    It was hard to focus on Batman's alien battle.
    Garfield has a lot to answer for as well.
    I'm going to watch the Aquabats super show on dvd later.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    rayjay wrote:
    That was one hell of a time to read a comic Rayjay ... In the meantime, Garfield has hated Monday's and eaten a whole lasagne (all in 3 wee boxes) ...

Your not wrong . Whiteboytrash has taken things up a notch on the other thread. I think someone could die :lol:
    It was hard to focus on Batman's alien battle.
    Garfield has a lot to answer for as well.
    I'm going to watch the Aquabats super show on dvd later.
    These posts just confirm who the gullible children are. :!:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    adamfo wrote:
    Why was Froome sent to an Afrikaner speaking school in South Africa ? Was he the dunce of the family ?
    Going to Rugby is no indication of academic excellence...