Hybrid wheels

Windinherhair
Windinherhair Posts: 21
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks.
I have a 2006 Specialized Crossroads Elite with Alex Rims (DH19).
I'm getting a right clunking and gritty sound from the rear hub. By the time I buy the necessary tools and parts to investigate and (hopefully) solve the issue, I'm as well just getting new wheels.
There are hundreds of the bloomin things out there! :|
Can anyone recommend something of a similar quality to the existing wheels? I can't see these particular ones for sale now.
I'm not looking to spend a fortune but, equally, don't want the cheapest, nastiest ones either.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What you are suggesting doesn't appear to make economic sense
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple of cone spanners, some loose bearings and a bit of grease. About a tenner and a few minutes work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This ^^^for the sake of a quick strip, clean and check and the regrease and rebuild
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OK, I'll give it a go.
    I don't mind getting my hands dirty...have done enough footering at my bike, but have never looked at hubs before. Also no stranger to working at the car, with help and advice from the Rav4 forum ;)
    I have a tonne of normal spanners and allen keys, grease, bench vice, hubby's old t-shirts for rags...
    So am guessing this is what I am going to need to buy...
    Cassette tool
    Chain whip
    Cone spanner (2?)
    Potentially also need replacement ball bearings. Is my LBS likely to sell these?
    Is the Freehub likely to be causing any of these symptoms? Might I be looking at replacing that too?
    Thanks guys.
  • Looking at it, I think I will need only the one cone spanner. The locking nut should shift with a normal 17mm.
    Does this sound about right?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One cone spanner of the right size and 2 17mm spanners.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well, I got the tools today.
    The bearings grease is pretty dirty, but the cones and bearings themselves are free from pits and wear.
    The freehub, however, sounds pretty gritty.
    I'm going to replace that tomorrow. The original is a Shimano FH RM40-8.
    I'm guessing it will be ok to replace that with a Shimano Alivio MC18 / M510 Deore 8-Speed MTB Freehub Body?
    Thanks for convincing me to carry out the maintenance instead of buying a new wheel. It feels pretty good to get into it myself. And now I've learned something new that'll come in handy in future.
    The cost is probably around the same as I would pay for a new wheel, but the tools are an investment!
  • Morning all.
    I was up til all hours last night, Googling freehubs...the usual "just one more search" and suddenly it's silly o'clock! :shock:
    The Shimano Alivio MC18/M510 Deore seems to be low end, so I am trying to find a mid range replacement.
    So many 9 speeds are coming up. Are these generally interchangeable with an 8 speed Shimano?
    I have looked at the Shimano tech info, maybe I'm just thick, but I can't find a straight forward answer.
    Is there such a thing as a simple chart? :|
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would just get the direct replacement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools