Aosta (Italy) B&B advice

mjcaskey
mjcaskey Posts: 94
edited December 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi

A group of us are planning a trip around Mont Blanc next June.

Does anyone have any recommendation for reasonable B&B accommodation in central Aosta?

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If no one has got any better recommendations you could have a look at this listing for bike-friendly hotels from the Italian cycling organisation FIAB (Italiano friends of the bicycle):

http://www.albergabici.it/albergab/albe ... al%20Aosta

But I've always found booking.com an extremely useful way to find places to stay most hotels, B&Bs, etc use it. Just about any place you stay will have somewhere to keep your bike - even if it's in the storeroom, laundry room or a cupboard - but you can always check before you book.

Bear in mind that an Italians use the term 'bed and breakfast' for pretty much any accommodation that isn't a hotel. So prices can vary a lot.

June can be an iffy time for the high alpine passes. The Giro d'Italia often has to change routes due to weather conditions. Chris Froome confessed to an Italian magazine that he wasn't too keen on the Giro because it was often so cold.
  • Aosta Meuble Excelsior 30€ Via Chambery 206 +39 (0)165 414 61
    Aosta Hotel Mignon 39€ Viale Gran San Bernardo 7 +39 (0)165 409 80
    Aosta Hotel le Pageot 45€ Via G Carrel 31 +39 (0)165 324 33 It is easy to find right outside the walls of the old city. It is a short 5 minute walk to the historic city centre. The property is clean and well kept and the staff spoke excellent English. Except for the coffee, which was made from liquid concentrate and dispensed from a machine, the breakfast was good. The buffet included local meats and cheeses, breads, baked goods, fruit, and cold cereal. The room and bath were good size for the price.
  • Thank you Andy and Culverwood for your helpful advice.

I hope your not correct re the temp in June, I agree it might be a risk. Although some of the tour companies seem to go for that time of year and presumably don't lose too many clients. Looking forward.

Mike