Will Giant ever offer a Carbon disc road bike?

Tumba
Tumba Posts: 32
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if and when Giant will offer a Carbon disc
Brakes bike?

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ..and can they let me know the winning lottery numbers for this weekend please.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • If they do, let's hope it won't break.
  • Tumba
    edited November 2013
    What does if they do, let's hope they won't
    Brake mean? I am new to Road biking and the many companies? Is Giant considered a cheaply made bike?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    lol, i think they're taking the wee-wee out of your spelling son ..
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Tumba wrote:
    Does anyone know if and when Giant will offer a Carbon disc
    Brakes bike?

Yes.

I'm guessing 2015 bikes since they haven't launched one this year.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    A Giant TCR Advanced disc would be very nice.

Shame it won't be for 2014. They do a disc-CXer but the big guns have been slow to sort out a decent disc-roadie. Spesh have a disc Roubaix, but apart from that you're in the realms of Parlee, Bianchi, BMC, Volagi et al, which aren't generally cheap and sometimes quite ugly.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure they will one day.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Just out of interest, and without wanting to hijack the thread - why are disc brakes quite rare on road bikes but pretty much standard on MTBs? Presumably there must be a reason they aren't generally put on road bikes - is it considered they aren't needed? Or is there a downside to disc brakes on a road bike that doesn't really matter on a MTB?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Just out of interest, and without wanting to hijack the thread - why are disc brakes quite rare on road bikes but pretty much standard on MTBs? Presumably there must be a reason they aren't generally put on road bikes - is it considered they aren't needed? Or is there a downside to disc brakes on a road bike that doesn't really matter on a MTB?

Partly regulations in racing, partly you don't notice the lack of braking power like you would in MTBing and also resistance to change. For me my next road bike will have disc brakes once they are proved to be working well on road bikes.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Giant is quite capable of making a good value carbon roadbike with disc brakes that wont break the bank. They just have to want to.
    Bike marketing suits are having difficulty with the concept that everyday riders want a bike that is not the same as that ridden by pro riders. I'm sure they will get over it when the sales returns start to cher-ching.
  • Will there ever be a boy born that can swim faster than a shark?
  • Tumba
    I really want a disc brake road bike as well, i just wish Giant had some options. I dont want to make a decision until i see Giants offerings.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I would bet my house they already have one developed/being developed as they wouldn,t be so far behind the trend as to get left behind.
    If they take off and become viable they will soon make the required numbers.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tumba wrote:
    I really want a disc brake road bike as well, i just wish Giant had some options. I dont want to make a decision until i see Giants offerings.

Why are you so keen to get a Giant? Will a Specialized or a Trek not do? :lol:
  • Tumba
    Carbonator wrote:
    Tumba wrote:

every thing I read about road bike industry says that giant is the only company that owns the manufacturing process or something like that, which means they control the processes and even supply other companies their frames? If i am wrong please help me where i have miss spoken. Oh and in all my research i have not seen any Disc brake road bike options from trek, but again i am new to the sport and industry.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I don't see carbon disc brakes working on a cycle. The advantage of carbon discs is the braking power once they are up to temperature. On a bike, how will they retain the heat to make them effective? The first time you need the brakes in an emergency, there'll be nothing happen if they aren't up to temperature.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Tumba wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Tumba wrote:

every thing I read about road bike industry says that giant is the only company that owns the manufacturing process or something like that, which means they control the processes and even supply other companies their frames? If i am wrong please help me where i have miss spoken. Oh and in all my research i have not seen any Disc brake road bike options from trek, but again i am new to the sport and industry.

You are on the right lines.

There are more companies than just Giant though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    elderone wrote:
    I would bet my house they already have one developed/being developed as they wouldn,t be so far behind the trend as to get left behind.
    If they take off and become viable they will soon make the required numbers.

I heard they have been testing for a while now.

They released the Propel later than normal last year.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    philthy3 wrote:
    I don't see carbon disc brakes working on a cycle.

the OP means the bike frame is carbon, not the discs themselves.

kajjal has the reasons pretty much spot on. It's happening though. Plenty of people realise that discs are much better, and the purchasing patterns will shift as a result, once there are genuine affordable options out there. I'm about to build a carbon disc roadie, and my commuter has been running discs for nearly two years now. Only the wife's/kid's bikes will continue on rim brakes.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think the small scale bike companies like Giant are always going to struggle to keep up with the development pace of other bigger bike companies. Furthermore they are made in Taiwan unlike say, a Raleigh Airlite carbon which IIRC are made in Nottingham so the quality will be a lot higher than Giant. The workforce will be healthier too as the factory is near to the Boots pharmacy headquarters.

Healthy workforce = better vertical compliance/lateral stiffness.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Pretty sure there will be a Defy with disc brakes next year. Need to check my source on that though.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think the small scale bike companies like Giant are always going to struggle to keep up with the development pace of other bigger bike companies. Furthermore they are made in Taiwan unlike say, a Raleigh Airlite carbon which IIRC are made in Nottingham so the quality will be a lot higher than Giant. The workforce will be healthier too as the factory is near to the Boots pharmacy headquarters.

:mrgreen:
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I now have a CX bike with disc brakes.

I suspect the reason Giant have not done one yet is because hydraulic disc brakes for road bike are only just appearing and no manufacturer with any sense would put mechanical disc brakes on a road bike. They are s**t.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Almost correct. Only the ladies bike are manufactured in Nottingham now due to the 3-1 ratio of women to men in Nottingham, they could not get enough men to test the bikes. The production of mens bikes has moved to Leeds, wheear thee can mek it much betta.