650b's on a 26er

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You will also invalidate your frame warranty by using the wrong size wheels.
    If the sizing is that close why would you want to change between 26" and 650b?
  • I'm regretting opening this thread...

I tell you what rockmonkey and lawman...even though you have ignored the fact i can just stick my 26's back on my frame whenever i want, ignored the fact i can put a 26" rear and 27" front for a laugh, ignored the fact that i get great joy from riding it with 650b's and ignoring the fact you've never ridden my bike to see what it's like...

It doesn't matter anymore, cos you know what....? You're right.....my BB height has totally compromised my riding, the angles are all knackered, and i'm a complete fool for ever trying...(sarcasm, just so you know).

Well done you.

I love my bike and i love riding it, i will keep riding it and enjoying it whatever wheel size i wish to put on it.

Get over it...!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There are some people you learn to ignore. Mainly those two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm regretting opening this thread...

I tell you what rockmonkey and lawman...even though you have ignored the fact i can just stick my 26's back on my frame whenever i want, ignored the fact i can put a 26" rear and 27" front for a laugh, ignored the fact that i get great joy from riding it with 650b's and ignoring the fact you've never ridden my bike to see what it's like...

It doesn't matter anymore, cos you know what....? You're right.....my BB height has totally compromised my riding, the angles are all knackered, and i'm a complete fool for ever trying...(sarcasm, just so you know).

Well done you.

I love my bike and i love riding it, i will keep riding it and enjoying it whatever wheel size i wish to put on it.

Get over it...!

I'm just giving my personal opinion, not having a pop at you, if you enjoy riding it then that's awesome :) . I'm just saying personally if I were in your position I might have gone down a different path, I'm not one for faffing with different wheels and so on, I'm very much a one bike should do everything with next to no changes kind of guy :) . Fwiw I think the Sight is a great bike, I used to work at a Norco dealer and they really nailed a lot of things with their latest range, if weren't for me not getting on too well with FSR suspension designs I'd definitely be considering it, because on paper it looks like it's a great bike!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Compromised as in you'd end up with a taller bb with like for like tyres or have to downsize tyres to make them fit in the frame.

Why? Say you want to use 2.1" tyres. Fitting 650b 2.1"s is a better solution than 2.4" 26" tyres, which would be heavy and slow, and would raise the bb more. You seem to be contradicting yourself - saying that 650b makes less difference than a fat 26" tyre, but will somehow ruin the geometry?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Who cares? The OP wanted to go do it so he did, he didn't steal anyone's bike and force 650b wheels onto it.

As an exercise it's interesting because if shows how similar 26" and 660b are in certain circumstances
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    Compromised as in you'd end up with a taller bb with like for like tyres or have to downsize tyres to make them fit in the frame.

Why? Say you want to use 2.1" tyres. Fitting 650b 2.1"s is a better solution than 2.4" 26" tyres, which would be heavy and slow, and would raise the bb more. You seem to be contradicting yourself - saying that 650b makes less difference than a fat 26" tyre, but will somehow ruin the geometry?

Just as example, if you fit 26x2.2 or 650bx2.2 then it stands to reason that there will be half an inch difference between the two, thus raising the bb. If you can't fit a 2.2 650b tyre in the frame, you'll have to use a smaller volume tyre in order for the wheel to fit.

A quick look at two versions of Schwalbe's racing ralph for comparisons sake a 26x2.4 weighs 560g and a 650x2.1 weighs 590g, both are the evo version so are exactly the same spec other than size. A set of 26" Stan's Crest on their own hubs weighs 1440g and the 650b version, same hub and spokes, weighs 1520g, so overall the difference is around 120g in favour of the 26". Obviously this is just an example and it will vary depending on tyre/wheel choices. But what you're then left with the smaller 650b tyres is a heavier wheelset and lower tyre volume. Granted some people may be ok with that, but imo that's not worth it.

I just think that if you're going to go 650b, go the whole way and not try and bodge it in a 26" frame. It's kind of like running a 29" 100mm travel fork in a 26" frame designed for say 140mm travel forks with 26" wheels, sure the geometry might not be much different, but you're left with a potentially less capable bike than when you started and that to me doesn't make sense.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Sideboob.

I like it. I was thinking of doing the same on my Whyte hardtail. I even sized the front wheel up at work. Same wheel and tyre combo as on your Norco

20131027_144310_zpsd0f37555.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't think it will effect the geometry too much but I just don't see the point when it's so close to a normal 26" wheel. I doubt it will make any more difference than a change of tyres.
  • @RevellRider

Thanks dude and go for it on the 650b's, if you don't like you can always stick the 26's back in. I am seriously considering buying myself a crimbo prezzie of a Mavic Crossroc 26er rear to put with the 650b front, the original Mavic xm119 is sh*te.
  • Fed up with all this wheel size stuff excuse the pun but I think we are all being taken for a ride
  • njee20
    I don't think it will effect the geometry too much but I just don't see the point when it's so close to a normal 26" wheel. I doubt it will make any more difference than a change of tyres.

You don't think there's a difference between a 2.4" 26" tyre and a 2.1" 650b one which is far lighter?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Who said anything about 2.4" tyres?
    My 2.2" Rubber Queen racesport tyres are just over 600g and measure nearly 27.5"
  • njee20
    So they're smaller than a 650b 2.25" Ralph, and 10% heavier? I know what you're getting at, but it's not the same thing.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:

You don't think there's a difference between a 2.4" 26" tyre and a 2.1" 650b one which is far lighter?

But as I said before the wheel will be heavier and it may well actually end up being heavier as a complete system.
  • njee20
    Bollocks it will, you're clutching at straws here!

Crests are 15g heavier in 650b. So that's 30g. Spokes will add about 10g, so that's 40g.

In the interests of comparing like with like a 26x2.4" Racing Ralph is 575g, a 650b x 2.25" is 510g, so that's 130g. The 650b system is the best part of 100g lighter, with a faster tyre.

We get that you don't see the point (not sure I really do either), but they're two different things. If you could 'better' a 650b wheelset by just fitting a marginally bigger 26" wheel do you not think folk would be doing that...?
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    **** it will, you're clutching at straws here!

Crests are 15g heavier in 650b. So that's 30g. Spokes will add about 10g, so that's 40g.

In the interests of comparing like with like a 26x2.4" Racing Ralph is 575g, a 650b x 2.25" is 510g, so that's 130g. The 650b system is the best part of 100g lighter, with a faster tyre.

We get that you don't see the point (not sure I really do either), but they're two different things. If you could 'better' a 650b wheelset by just fitting a marginally bigger 26" wheel do you not think folk would be doing that...?

I was just going off the claimed weights on Stan's website, if the difference is smaller then that's fair enough. I just don't see the point in going 650b on a 26" bike if you end back where you started but with a smaller tyre. Using like for like tyres, say Hans Dampfs or Minions, I can see why 650b is beneficial because the wheel is bigger, but having to downsize tyres just to make it fit in a 26" frame seems silly. I'm all for 650b bikes that are designed around the wheels, my next bike will probably be 650b, but I'm in no hurry to convert my existing bike.
  • '"but having to downsize tyres just to make it fit in a 26" frame seems silly."

I didn't have to downsize tyres, the tyres came with the wheelset @ 2.2" and they fit fine.

I could fit 2.3" or 2.35" even 2.4".
  • njee20
    I was just going off the claimed weights on Stan's website, if the difference is smaller then that's fair enough

So was I - 340g for a 26" rim, 355g for 27.5", 380g for 29".
  • lawman
    '"but having to downsize tyres just to make it fit in a 26" frame seems silly."

I didn't have to downsize tyres, the tyres came with the wheelset @ 2.2" and they fit fine.

I could fit 2.3" or 2.35" even 2.4".

That's fair enough, I thought the sight came with 2.35 tyres, at least they did when we were a dealer! :lol:

I guess being used to my Hans Dampfs which are huge I find the idea of going from those to a 650bx2.2 tyre a bit odd, but if you were only running 2.2's before you'll get some rollover benefit.
  • lawman wrote:
    but having to downsize tyres just to make it fit in a 26" frame seems silly. I'm all for 650b bikes that are designed around the wheels, my next bike will probably be 650b, but I'm in no hurry to convert my existing bike.

Ibis Mojo HDR that only fits 650b 2.2's and some 2.25+ tyres WTF. Oh that would be a bodge it and scarper quick sharp!