still struggling with BB

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I initially couldn't get my Ruktion cranks on my Howitzer bb, as if I couldn't push the cranks far enough onto the splines.

Decided to take it all apart and start again, but now I can't get the drive side crank off. Although in principle this set up seems a simple idea, it doesn't actually work (for me.) I've used gxp set-ups before and never struggled removing parts like this,should've stuck with what I know instead of being duped by cheap cranks!!

Anyone got any ideas besides pulling it harder or hitting it with a rubber mallet?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a crank puller then.
    and your cranks are Howitzer fit arnt they. ISIS look the same but are not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    get a crank puller then.
    and your cranks are Howitzer fit arnt they. ISIS look the same but are not.

They are howitzer fit, they even have it stamped on them so at least I know that's correct.)

Didn't even realise crank pullers existed, given i've only used gxp bb'S before, I was surprised to find such a big difference in how they fit.

Any advice for getting them to fit correctly? Like I say, it feels like I can't push them far enough onto the spindles
  • nicklouse
    what do you mean by not on far enough? what is happening? what axle length did you get?

and pictures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The bb specified it was for 68/73mm shell. Mine is 68 so I have the appropriate spacers in.

I push the cranks onto the spindle as far as they go and tighten the crank bolts, but there is lateral movement across the bb shell I.e. the cranks don't sit snugly up against the faces of the bb. The axle can slide a few mm either way through the shell.

I wanted to take it all apart and start again but now can't get the drive side crank off. It's a dis-ah-ster.
  • nicklouse
    The bb specified it was for 68/73mm shell. Mine is 68 so I have the appropriate spacers in.

I push the cranks onto the spindle as far as they go and tighten the crank bolts, but there is lateral movement across the bb shell I.e. the cranks don't sit snugly up against the faces of the bb. The axle can slide a few mm either way through the shell.

I wanted to take it all apart and start again but now can't get the drive side crank off. It's a dis-ah-ster.

not the question i asked. what axle length did you get. not what width BB shell you have.

but it does sound like you have your spacing wrong. as the axle should get trapped between the bearings.

time to look at your spacers and devices. grease parts as needed. fit one cup then axle then other cup. axle should be secure.
  • I bought this bbTRUVATIV Bottom Bracket Howitzer XR 68/73 catenary 51mm

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1212/ ... -51mm.html

I figured that as it specifies 68/73 that the axle would be the right length for me.

Do/should the cranks slide on fairly easily? Do/should the crank bolts pull them on further as they are tightened?
  • nicklouse
    so you have not read the manual.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/c78mn ... r-e-r0.pdf

yes the arms should press on the metal stops which are part of the seals. but the spacing must be right so the axle is held in place by the bearings. if it is not you will crush the bearings, or the bearings will push out of the cups depending on which way the spacing is out.
  • Was pleasantly surprised to discover i do own a crank puller. Took it all apart and tried again, this time with success. Have all the drivetrain in place now, forks next. No doubt there'll be problems...... :roll: