Which Carbon Seatpost?

pirnie
pirnie Posts: 242
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace the seatpost on my winter bike with a new one, partly because its looking a bit worse for wear, and partly to get a better fit on the bike.

I'm looking for a 27.2 mm carbon, zero setback post, ideally that doesn't cost the earth. Does anyone have any recommendation. I was looking at the FSA SL-K, but some sites seem to say it has a weight limit of 75kg? I'm about 85 so if that's the case I guess it's not an option

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    USE alien is good. 80 quid. Very lightweight too. I got it for 40 from whinstanley I think
  • That 75kg limit was for the old SLK post - the new one from about 2011 onwards with the fancy graphics - has a limit of 95kg.
  • pro vibe
    canyon vcls
    storck ( forget the post name)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Thomson Masterpiece. No need for carbon with this on the market. Easy saddle mounting, micro adjust saddle level, bombproof, 2 bolt clamp(the only way to go), and pretty much zero saddle flex or movement.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    Does it have to be carbon , alloy for £61.29, 116g, 27.2 x 290

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6KCycles-Ultr ... 43c14dc487

Barrie
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A seat post is a seat post - how much difference can there be in a tube?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    dennisn wrote:
    Thomson Masterpiece. No need for carbon with this on the market. Easy saddle mounting, micro adjust saddle level, bombproof, 2 bolt clamp(the only way to go), and pretty much zero saddle flex or movement.
    ^^This
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Cheers for all the replies. Given me some good options to look at. I'm not so bothered about the weight, its on a winter bike with mudguards etc on. The reason I'm thinking carbon is for the extra comfort on the awful roads of the north east
  • diamonddog wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ^^This
    +1

If you can't afford the 'masterpiece', then the one down from this is just as good as any of the carbon jobbies. I have the 'masterpiece' zero setback on my Canyon & wouldn't have anything else. My Roubaix came with the Zertz seatpost which is also excellent, if you have to have carbon.
  • smidsy wrote:

Not sure how much an alloy seatpost flexes but when I look at my mates slk moving about all over the place under his 70kg ar$e, it convinces me that carbon does make a difference.

I have a Deda Drittisimo (spelling?) and it has been just fine. Comfy, light, looks good and was a steal at about 50 quid. Fiddly to set up initially mind.
  • smidsy wrote:

Having moved from a bog standard carbon wrapped alu post to using Deda Zero100 posts. A hell of a lot.

It will depend on how much you have exposed and a whole bunch of other factors though.

Bikes are pretty mechanically simple in principle but there are clear differences between a £300 bike, a £1,000 bike and a £5,000 bike, the principle is the same.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    After using all sorts I have come to the conclusion that the best seatpost (that I've tried obv) is the Fizik Cyrano. The clamping/adjustment is so much better than anything else out there. Thomson masterpiece is pretty good I have one on my MTB.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    On a winter bike just go with an Thomson Elite. The masterpiece more £ for less weight.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use Thompson Elites too I have mine at 180g (cut down and Ti bolts). The only carbon post I use is the Deda Drittissimo also cut down a bit but with steel bolts -180g but the seat is a pain to mount.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I have three Deda Drittissimos. The difference between that and my old allu ones was more that noticeable.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought an FSA K-Force replica seat post from Taiwan (widely available on eBay and AliExpress) it cost me something like £20 posted. I've had it now for almost 12 months, have put around 1800 miles on it and its been perfect. The clamping system is a bit basic and a bit fidgety to set the seat angle but once you have that done it shouldnt need to be touched again. I have it on my winter bike also, for the price of it you couldnt go wrong. It does actually 'soften' the ride and dampens out a reasonable amount of road buzz especially on rougher/poor surfaces. I couldnt justify paying prices in excess of £80 and £100 for something that effectively does the exact same thing.

I was so impressed with it, i bought the same one for my 'good' carbon bike. The one on my winter bike is 31.6 and the one for my carbon bike is 27.2 and 350mm long but actually weighed less than the Felt SL carbon seatpost which measured 270mm long. I'm going to cut it to the same lenght as the Felt seatpost so it will weigh even less. The weight difference is mainly down to the heavy clamp on the Felt post.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    NapoleonD wrote:
    After using all sorts I have come to the conclusion that the best seatpost (that I've tried obv) is the Fizik Cyrano. The clamping/adjustment is so much better than anything else out there. Thomson masterpiece is pretty good I have one on my MTB.

+1