Shimano custom fit shoes

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm mulling over some new shoes to replace some fairly old Shimano R099s and was looking at the pricey Shimano models with heat moldable insoles and uppers. I've already got some SIDAS custom heat molded footbeds in my current shoes though. Any thoughts on how good the Shimano custom bits are and how they compare to the SIDAS? Are the insoles rigid like other footbeds?

Would it be better just to get cheaper shoes (R170's?) and move the footbeds across?

The one place I've seen so far charge £50 to fit the Shimanos - anyone got any leads on cheaper deals!

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    i have a pair of 220's that were heat moulded by the bike shop i bought them from at no extra cost. I don't think its right if you buy the shoes from them that they should charge for the fitting. I then at a later stage had a bike fit which included side insoles and have been using them in the shoes since. I would say they are rigid then the insoles that come with the shoes.
  • Thanks for the reply. So the aftermarket insoles you've now got are better than the Shimano ones?

The local shop will fit for free if buying through them at RRP but its cheaper to buy online and pay the £50 charge.

Can anyone else comment, there must be more than one person on here using Shimano heat molded footbeds!
  • I've had some 220's ( i think ) for about 4 years now. I have found them excellent. I have, i guess from windsurfing and sailing, what appear to be wider feet than your average and i find the width of the standard shimano's spot on.
    I find the moulded sole very comfortable, particularly once you are over 3 hours for a ride. I guess as my feet / legs starrt to get tired the sole supports the instep nicely. My previous shimano's which got down graded to winter use, seem fine, for 1-2hours. Above that i can definatley feel the comfort difference.
    They have worn and lasted very well, and am quiter happy to recommend them.
    Hope that helps?