Garmin Edge 500

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got one. If so how do you find it and would you suggest it a good buy?
If not then any suitable alternatives around the £200 mark.
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• mikeyj28
    Don't you have to buy the maps too for the best part of an extra £80 plus another £50 for HRM and cadence sensor?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have an edge 500 and once set to update every second it is accurate for on and off road riding. The display is also very configurable to display what you need. Downloading rides is very simple. I have had no problems with it at all.

Download the manual and have a read.
  • mikeyj28 wrote:
    Don't you have to buy the maps too for the best part of an extra £80 plus another £50 for HRM and cadence sensor?

With regard to maps, no you do not have to buy an maps. The free openstreetmaps are eminently usable.

With regard to other additions, that will raise the price, there was no mention of these previously.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got an 800 and use the osm maps, they're as good as the official ones. I've also got the cadence and HR sensor, but the HR strap is normally in my drawer, and I think the cadence sensor has stopped working, but I can't be sure because the info isn't that useful.

I'd go for the 800 every time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 500 is great! All the essential data I need anyway. No need for maps as I can read signs! Or explore!
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up going with the Edge 500 as got it new for £89. A bargain when compared to a minimum of £225 for the 800.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up going with the Edge 500 as got it new for £89. A bargain when compared to a minimum of £225 for the 800.
    Edge 500 for £89? Where from?
    Rich
  • The display is also very configurable to display what you need. Downloading rides is very simple. I have had no problems with it at all.LVyb2g
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    RichA wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:

Amazon Black Friday deals last week I suspect. I was watching and the allocation sold out in about 30 seconds.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mikeyj28
    RichA wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:

I was lucky to get one on the black Friday deals day on Amazon. You had to be quick to buy it though as they all flew out. For the price I paid I am more than happy with the Edge 500 over the 800.

Thanks for all your replies though guys.
  • The vast range of data that the 500 can display is great. Personally I have fopund the course function the most useful for helping to navigate round rides (50 plus miles). If you havn't already whiled away a few hours learning how to map and save courses and get turn by turn directions then have a look at this post/site:

http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-500-turn ... s-courses/