Jacket buying advice needed!

calmx5
calmx5 Posts: 230
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy a good winter jacket to last all sorts of weather. Not one to easily succumb to the cold, so not an overtly thermal one needed, but looking for a reasonably warm one, windproof, showerproof, with a slim race cut.

Budget of £150 to £170

What are my options? :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Castelli gabba

And a merino base layer

Good down to just above freezing in my experience, and more breathable than anything else.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    castelli espresso due, but it might be too warm, the Gabba is nice, don't know if you want short sleeves
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    FatTed wrote:
    castelli espresso due, but it might be too warm, the Gabba is nice, don't know if you want short sleeves
    Would recommend this too, is quite warm but perfect for me as I do feel the cold. The zip down vents are a nice feature if you get too hot going uphill.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I was after a jacket like that too, I tried the Rapha Pro Team jacket but fit was no good for me so I ordered an Assos ij Bonka {catchy name} yesterday, it's a bit more costly but I got it for 208 quid which is a reasonable price compared to RRP.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Rapha pro team
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Assos Airjack 851 is just about in your budget if you bend it a bit. I find it warmer than my Gabba and more practical.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 - yes the Assos airblock does the trick in most cold weather conditions imo
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    calmx5 wrote:
    Looking to buy a good winter jacket to last all sorts of weather. Not one to easily succumb to the cold, so not an overtly thermal one needed, but looking for a reasonably warm one, windproof, showerproof, with a slim race cut.

Budget of £150 to £170

Thanks in advance.

Last year I bought a GORE jacket for the winter. Can't remember the model, but it's the one that has sleeves that zip out, so makes it good for spring / autumn also as a gillet. Think it was about £110. Really warm, I manage down to 2 degrees in it with just a base layer under,nice fitting, and looks good. Quality zips etc,etc,etc. Just wish I could get one for my feet.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    2 Foskas or 1 Foska and a wad of change.

Seriously they are great, ultra windproof so keep you warm, pretty damn waterproof, but breathable so they don't sweat. plus less than 50% of the price of Rapha , Assos etc
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    mabbo wrote:
    calmx5 wrote:

Budget of £150 to £170

Thanks in advance.

Last year I bought a GORE jacket for the winter. Can't remember the model, but it's the one that has sleeves that zip out, so makes it good for spring / autumn also as a gillet. Think it was about £110. Really warm, I manage down to 2 degrees in it with just a base layer under,nice fitting, and looks good. Quality zips etc,etc,etc. Just wish I could get one for my feet.

Gore phantom. I have one. It may be slightly warmer than the. Gabba but not as breathable and not as waterproof.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too have the Phantom. Always liked the combination of warmth with breathable back and windproof front / sleeves. Agreed about the lack of waterproofing though; I'd expected it to be a bit more water resistant. Maybe I need to reproof it to enhance the beading?