Garmin Forerunner 405 or Foretrex 401?

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

GPS on my phone is being decidedly flaky ... still searching for advice and solutions, but I suspect the GPS unit is in the phone is giving up the ghost ... phone is on contract, so will go back again to my network provider and see what they propose to do ..

However, the whole experience (and frustration of living with very patchy strava results for the last 3 weeks!) have caused me to think that a Garmin watch might be a good idea anyway, and I've seen a couple of used options pretty cheap. I like the idea of a watch because its lighter and more portable, battery run times are better etc. Would be used for cycling and running. I don't need / use mapping functionality, or heart monitoring (and couldn't afford a Garmin device with all that anyway) - I just want to record an activity, upload it, analyse distance, speed, average speed and strava segments.

Seen a used Garmin Forerunner 405 and a Garmin Foretrex 401 - any advice on which is better? Particularly interested in accurate and robust GPS tracking of the activity, and which (if any) of the two would be better.

Thanks

Comments