How aggressive is the riding position on a CAAD10?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Been talking to a guy at work who is thinking about a Caad10. He has looked at a Caad8 and likes it so does anyone have any experience of riding a Caad10 and can anyone offer any views on how aggressive the riding position actually is bearing in mind this is for a MAMIL not a racer. I also have read the bike is quite comfy for an Alu bike and we would be interested to hear what people think about this to.

Comments

• porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    It's fine.
    I also run a Madone 5.2 carbon with DA wheels and the Caad is not a shock after the carbon bike.
    I have ridden it for 4.5 hours and it wasn't so bad at all.

Get your friend to go to an LBS and try one or a supersix carbon has the same geo.

No disrespect, but these online questions are a bit hit and miss, without a physical bike.....I have had a couple of people try my caad and had it in their mind straight away it was some crazy race machine which would cripple them after a few miles.....Clueless!

Great bikes and you will find mostly good responses from owners!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,047
    It's quite aggressive though I think the largest size with the highest front end may actually have less reach than the next size down so it may depend on what size you need.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I have had a CAAD10 for a couple of years and at 41 probably qualify as a MAMIL. I've ridden it on long sportives and find it comfortable. You can get an aggressive position if you want, but there's quite a tall cone spacer on the headset which gives a reasonable high bar position. For me, the fact that the top tube is slightly shorter for a given frame size than some brands helps to make it comfortable.
  • I recently bought a Caad10 Black Inc Red22. It's a great bike and I can't recommend it enough.

It is quite aggressive but depending on your size you could/can use some extra spacers to make it slightly more relaxed. I had a Retul fit and was in between sizes 54/52 and ended up sizing down and running a couple of extra spacers. I also swapped bars as it came with 42cm and I need 38cm. Feels great and I'm glad I sized down. I feel in control of the bike. The 54 was too stretched out with 42cm bar and 120stem.

I have ridden most rides between 1.5 / 2.5hrs and it feels good. Comfort is such a personal thing as seats, bars,tyre size and pressure can all be changed to bring more or less comfort.
    Great bike and would recommend.
    Get him to go for a test ride on a couple of different sizes and a Cannondale Synapse and see what he prefers would be my advice.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It is a race geometry so designed for speed. It has a fairly short headtube which will tend to give an more aggressive ride position if you do not run a stack of spacers on the fork steerer.

I have a CAAD5 which is essentially the same type of thing and although the above statement is true I find it perfectly OK and have done 100 mile plus rides on it without too much issue.

All depends on YOU and it is a case of try before you buy if at all possible.

They are very good frames and at the sharp end of what can be done with and Aluminium frame, so are a good buy if you can live with it. The BB30 is a shame though, be prepared for possible issues with that (plenty of posts on here giving examples of that).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I recently bought a Caad10 Black Inc Red22. It's a great bike and I can't recommend it enough.

It is quite aggressive but depending on your size you could/can use some extra spacers to make it slightly more relaxed. I had a Retul fit and was in between sizes 54/52 and ended up sizing down and running a couple of extra spacers. I also swapped bars as it came with 42cm and I need 38cm. Feels great and I'm glad I sized down. I feel in control of the bike. The 54 was too stretched out with 42cm bar and 120stem.

I have ridden most rides between 1.5 / 2.5hrs and it feels good. Comfort is such a personal thing as seats, bars,tyre size and pressure can all be changed to bring more or less comfort.
    Get him to go for a test ride on a couple of different sizes and a Cannondale Synapse and see what he prefers would be my advice.

Can you let me know what height you are please and how long is the steerer tube on a stock bike?
  • solboy10 wrote:
    I recently bought a Caad10 Black Inc Red22. It's a great bike and I can't recommend it enough.

Can you let me know what height you are please and how long is the steerer tube on a stock bike?

I'm 5'9 the steerer tube I will measure tomorrow for you. I remember it came with 3cm of spacers plus stem height maybe 5.5/6cm in total. I'll confirm that tomorrow.
    The one thing to bare in mind is , I can't confirm whether the shop had already cut the steerer tube. It was flush with 3cm spacers and stem.There were no spacers above the stem/topcap.
    My 52cm model came with 170mm cranks , 42cm handlebars and a 90mm stem as stock.
    Hope this helps.