Hayes Dyno Sport - Need to Replace!

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,422
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I currently have this set up on the Fuji 29er:

Front Brake: Hayes Dyno Sport, hydraulic disc, 180mm rotor
Rear Brake: Hayes Dyno Sport, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor

They have never been great and I've always felt quite underwhelmed by them. Been doing lots of XC stuff and single track and feel I need something with more bite. Yesterday the front was screeching like a Banshee in the Quantocks half the time and the other half it was hardly making any difference at all. Not confidence inspiring.

Budget is £100. Liking Shimano Deore M615's. Will these fit my existing rotors/mounts or will I require new rotors?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• Your current rotors will be fine. The Deores are very good, got a set myself and can be had for around 90 quid.
  • photonic69
    That's good to know. How do I find out if/what adaptor/mount I would need with these for front and back?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what mounts your fork has. And frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    OK. So how does one differentiate the fork and frame mounts? Are there standard types?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    Thanks Cooldad.

Seems like I might get away without needing one but I'll check with CRC when I order one and I'll have my frame and fork details to hand when doing so.

It will be a nice feeling to be able to stop when I want to.

• you could try hayes stroker ryde brakes there dirt cheap and reliable
  • photonic69
    I've lost a bit of confidence in Hayes brakes and after reading all the available reviews I'm quite keen to go Shimano Deore M615. I can get a full set, plus adaptors, plus spare set of pads, plus postage from the German site for far less than a set of Stroker Rydes. Also, not many local shops stock Hayes pads. OK they can get them in but I always seem to need a set on Saturday afternoon when prepping for the Sunday ride. It would be handy to have something a bit more available such as the Shims

• fair enough merlin sells strokers for £99 for the set pads are cheap online just stock up on them i have had 3 sets of strokers on different bikes over the years and never had a problem with any of them but deores are a good brake to