How uncomfortable are Fizik Arione??

Gunnsie
Gunnsie Posts: 171
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a new saddle and have been looking at the Fizik range.

I like the look of the Antares Versus, but I love the look of the Arione. Only thing that is putting me off is that it looks a lot slimmer than the Antares and so was wondering if that would mean it would be more uncomfortable? I don't do TTs, I tend to average 25-45 miles on rides.

I am 6ft... 32"-34" waist and weigh around 13.5st-14st.... I am reasonably flexable IMO.

Would the Arione Kill my rear?

Cheers!

Chris

Comments

• duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    You dont know if you dont try, that is all you can do.
    I have Arione's on all my bikes, good for ME.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    I can't say for U.
    For me - I have several. Good for up to 400km is my verdict
    jc
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I tried one and hated it, think it was the flat profile that didn't suit. Everyone is different though.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I've tried quite a few saddle's over the last few years and I've now finally settled
    on the Arione. I have one on both my road bikes and it fits me.... :D give one a go...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I think the responses so far show you that asking for saddle advice is pointless, some love a particular saddle, others will hate it, personally I love the Arione and have them on both my bikes :wink:

Best to try them if you can, get along to a Fizik dealer and borrow one :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Gunnsie
    Cheers Guys!!

Another thing.... whats the difference between the R1, R3, CX, Non-CX??

Cheers!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Most stores that sell Fizik saddles will have a demo range, usually in some terrible pink/yellow colour. Same is true of Prologo too. Just find a local dealer and try before you buy.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Arione is lovely for me - my first ride on it was over 100 miles.

Your bum may think differently though.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have a arione and its bearable upto 50 mile max then its crap.Was hoping it would be the saddle for me but alas it isn,t.
    What suits one may not suit you as I have found.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I tried the arione, and very quickly got rid as didn't work for me. I like the aliante, and the spesh romins as prefer a raised back end.
  • I've settled on an R3 now. It's not the last word in comfort but it's 90% there for me.

I could probably get that last 10% with a Spoon but they don't do the slippy type anymore and a) the Arione is cool and b) I can use the Fizik clip system
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Fiziks range is suited to different flexibilities:

Fizik-spine-concept.jpg

Arione is a snake, Antares is a chameleon, and Aliante is Bull. Hope that helps you.

I'm on an Antares and love it, I'm a couple of mm away from being able to touch my toes so the chart seems to work out.

This may help http://www.fizik.com/spineconcept/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Arione works on the basis of the weight of the rider is distributed over a wide area and preferably with the saddle set dead-level. I have Ariones on both road race and CX bikes - ridden full-distance versions of Flanders and Roubaix, plus 1-day traverses of the Southdowns Way on a CX bike, all numerous times on an Arione.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    lewiskinch wrote:
    Fiziks range is suited to different flexibilities:

Fizik-spine-concept.jpg

Arione is a snake, Antares is a chameleon, and Aliante is Bull. Hope that helps you.

I'm on an Antares and love it, I'm a couple of mm away from being able to touch my toes so the chart seems to work out.

According to Fizik I'm a snake, but I hate the Arione. However I love the Aliante.
    Reckon it's all bull myself!

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    According to Fizik I'm a snake, but I hate the Arione. My mrs says I ain,t no bull.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I am same size, weight, inside leg, etc. as you.

However, as others have stated - that means nothing. I loved my Arione and even ended up for a K:1. Even that was comfortable as long as you didn't hit any potholes.
  • Gunnsie
    lewiskinch wrote:
    Fiziks range is suited to different flexibilities:

Fizik-spine-concept.jpg

According to that I am in between an Arione and an Antares..... I can touch my toes, but it's more comfortable to hang just above them.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Arione is long an narrow but it allows you to shift position well to assist in using the different muscle groups.

I have them on all my bikes and regulalrly ride in excess of 80 miles without any problem...BUT there is no way anyone can tell you what it will be like for you. Saddles are a try and try and try until you get THE ONE, there is no magic answer.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    edited November 2013
    You've got to try the in store samples. There's various models in the range and after trying the Arione models, I plumped for the Arione VS K:ium which I've found pretty comfortable to date.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't believe the marketing BS. It's nothing to do with how flexible you are. All this snake, chameleon and bull nonsense, really ....

You just need to try the Arione, Antares and the Aliante. And other saddles until you find the right one, simple as that.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 - I can barely touch my knees, but find the Arione the most comfortable saddle for me.
  • Gunnsie
    Think I'm gonna buy a Arione, then if I don't get on with it I'll chuck it on eBay or the Classifieds on here and buy an Antares instead.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I went for an Arione CX purely because it looked good and matched my bike.
    Have found it very comfortable (6 hours+) and much more comfortable than the Antares it replaced.
    Have just bought another for my cyclocross bike as I know it works well for me.
    I would go with the one you like the look of as a starting point. It worked for me anyway.
    Hope it fits ;-)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My Arione is the most comfy saddle I have used.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mroli wrote:
    +1 - I can barely touch my knees, but find the Arione the most comfortable saddle for me.

Yep agree with that. I can hardly touch my feet and find it comfortable, not that you can hardly touch your knees.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I had an Arione and hated it immediately. I ended up with a Spesh Romin Pro 143mm. I later found out the Arione is about 130mm wide, hence it was narrower than my sit bones so just went straight up my rear!

I think getting your sit bones measured can help a lot with saddle selection. Lots of spesh stockists and the spesh stores have the little seat they use to measure you up and, for me at least, it paid off.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Just to show everyone is different, I found the opposite to housemunkey. I had a 143mm Romin Evo saddle and never got on with it. I tried for a few months but just couldn't get comfy and it is the only saddle I've suffered from some major chaffing :oops: Switched to an Arione CX and instantly liked it, once I got fully used to it..perfect (for me).

As for the flexibility scale, I'd say the only thing that rings true is the more aero you sit the more comfier the saddle feels but it still feels fine sat upright on the bar tops. I'm definitely not a snake either.
  • Gunnsie
    Cool... well it's Payday tomorrow, so a brand new Arione will be purchased.