Giant P-Elite C Wheelset?

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited May 2014 in Road general
I bought up a Giant TCR Composite 1 on Saturday, picking it up tomorrow. :)

It comes with a Giant P-Elite C wheelset. I can't find any informatiion about them. But they seem to be an entry level set, based on the fact that they come on some of Giant's cheaper models. Anyone have experience of them?

I think I'm basically looking justification for upgrading them to Ultegra 6800s. :)

Comments

• Or does anyone have an opinion on Giant wheels in general?
  • They are a pretty standard 24/28 set of wheels. Typically the components are budget quality from the far east and the assembly is average. They should last a few K miles before things start going wrong. They seem to have gone up in spoke count compared to last year model (20/24) which suggests there were problems with those, which have been addressed. They look like a keeper, at least until well into next year, when you can decide what's wrong with them that you want to address
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Wheel upgrades are normally the msot worthwhile IMO, but as Ugo says, use the wheels that come with the bike until they start to go wrong - then upgrade. Might as well get your moneys worth.

If you want a "quick/cheap" upgrade then putting on better tyres and light weight inner tubes can make a remarkable improvement in the ride quality and reduce weight at the rim which is where it matters most.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • OK cool, I'll give them a go first. I have folding Gatorskins to put on, so they'll be a good upgrade from the wire bead Giant tyres.

Thanks for the replies.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The Giant wheels are supposed to be quite solid - they're basically DT Swiss wheels.. and my PR2s haven't skipped a beat in 8000 miles
  • My Defy Advanced 2012 model has the PSL-1 wheels. They get good reviews and have DT swiss hubs. I have ridden over 1700 miles on them and havent touched them, they are still running true and smooth. The road surfaces have been pretty poor in places as well and although it is my "best" dry weather bike has been used in the wet on several occassions.
  • Pulstar
    Pulstar Posts: 2
    Hi KingOfTheTailwind,

I'm looking at a couple of bikes on my shortlist, the Giant TCR Comp 1 2014 which you have or the Cube Agree GTC Race, both are the same price at £1599:

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/road-race/a ... -gtc-race/

I like the internal cabling on the Cube, and also that 'wing race bar' which makes it more comfortable on the hands, and I think the Mavic wheels may be a little better, but as mentioned above, I can always upgrade these the following year.

Just wondering how you have found the TCR so far. I was thinking would the Giant geometry be just a bit too racy for me, as don't really race, but I wanted a bike to improve my overall ave speed to 15+ mph so that I can start joining in with me local cycling groups club runs.

I saw the TCR in my lbs, and must admit it looks stunning, far sexier that the Cube!

cheers...
  • Yes loving my TCR. I wouldn't worry about the geometry too much, I don't race and find it comfortable. I rode 143 miles on it on Sunday.

Not much between them in terms of spec. Pick the one you like the look of best!

The Giant wheels are OK, I'm using them on my Felt. They definitely feel smoother than the Aksiums I had on the Felt originally. Possible slightly heavier though.

I have hand built wheels for the TCR.